It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:06 pm 

Hello,
I need some help here. does anyone know how to KILL those pseky flying bugs that hang-out around bananas and ALL they are also in ALL my plant soils.
They are driving me nuts. Cannot sit any thing down unless they go rt. to it. They appear to be a bit yuck!
Linda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:24 am 

Fruit flies? If that is what you're asking about, they serve a very good purpose outside in the soil, but I've never seen them in pure soil. I have a few bazillion of them in my compost pile, but not in the soil. Maybe you're seeing some of the millions of other hopping bugs.

Inside the house, probably the best way to get rid of them is to not have any fruit in the house for a week or so. Or put it all in the fridge for a few days. Then after they are gone, only bring in fruit that has no flies on it.

If you have house plants with fungus gnats, you might soak a mosquito dunk in water overnight and water normally with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:47 am 

Hi there,
Thanks for the answer. I do not know what mosquito dunk is, can u explain?
Well, I don,t see real good any more so I may be seeing fungus knats. They come every year at this time.
They fly around and r super FAST! They appear to to brown , reddish brown in color and about 1/16 to 1/4 ' long. They hangout around food but, then again I have plants in the windows also.
I read several things last night on what i believe these are and it is the dampness in soil, and we also have a trash compactor.
So, I guess untill it gets colder here I will have them.
Mos. dunk?
Thanks, Linda