It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:12 pm 

Need help identifying this insect. They have shown up over the last few weeks and are heavy on my tomatoes. Mostly I see them on the fruit itself and not the leaves or stem. I tried garlic pepper spray which seemed to have no impact. Thank you in advance.

Attachments:
blackbugtomatoes.jpg
blackbugtomatoes.jpg [ 182.94 KiB | Viewed 8648 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:41 am 

It's a leaf-footed bug. Add'l info:

Dark brown bug that looks like an elongated stink bug. Antennae are four-segmented. Hind legs flattened like a leaf. Eggs are white and key-shaped and are laid on the underside of leaves.

Adults pass the winter in sheltered spots. One brood a year. Incomplete metamorphosis--eggs, nymphs, and adults. Adults and nymphs like to suck the juice from leaves, shoots, fruits, buds, and seeds.

Most gardens and natural areas. Many food crops and some ornamentals. Beans, citrus, peas, pecans, potatoes, tomatoes, and wild areas. Attack and damage crops of several species such as asparagus, tomatoes, cotton, peaches, potatoes, oranges, and many other crops.

Natural control: Birds, snakes, lizards. Good biodiversity. Parasitic flies such as the tachinid fly. Assassin bugs, birds, wolf spiders, and frogs.

Organic control: None usually needed. Citrus oil products will eliminate a heavy infestation.

Kin to squash bugs.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:39 pm 

This is an old thread, but I hope somebody sees this and can help. These leaf footed stink bugs are annihilating our tomatoes. I have tried hand picking, but they fly off before I can get my hands on them and anyway, there are simply too many to control by hand. I tried orange oil, they seemed to thank me for the lovely gift. If anyone has any ideas, I would truly appreciate it! Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:20 pm 

This is going to sound funny, but I had a problem with them in the datura in my front yard. I tried various things, and finally I realized that while they can be fast, they are sometimes slow to respond when you get close. I got 2 1-gallon Home Depot paint sticks and would sneak up on the bug on the leaf, one stick underneath, one nearby above, and then I would slap the two sticks together, getting the leaf and the bug at the same time. Each time I checked out the plant I'd kill two or three bugs, and after a couple of weeks they were much less of a problem.

You don't need to hit them very hard to kill them. I got to where I could sneak up with just one stick and give it a fast slap to knock it off and out of commission. You might also want to simply try a flyswatter (I had those sticks out front for something else, and because they worked, I didn't look for a more efficient approach).

If you have a lot in your tomatoes, this may not be practical. If orange oil isn't working then try neem, but be careful using neem in hot weather, it can fry plants if it is used when it's really hot.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:56 pm 

Thanks, Northwesterner for answering so quickly.
I'm desperate and went and bought some Ferti-lome Fruit Tree Spray. Active ingredient is Pyrethrins and it does have Neem Oil in it. We have 20 tomato plants and I'm outnumbered. I love you paint stick idea! I was thinking if I had smaller kids I could make a game out of this, but mine are too old to be tricked anymore.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:13 pm 

Please make sure that anything you spray says it is for tomato plants/vegetable and can be sprayed directly on the actual fruit you are going to eat.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:49 pm 

I'd take that spray back unopened - pyrethrin is bad for you and is overkill (just because it is "natural" - from chrysanthemums, doesn't mean it's a good organic product). You can get neem by itself and mix it with Garrett Juice and a little soap. Careful not to spray when it's hot or bright sun, save it for early morning, and a little goes a long way.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

These products will also work:
https://gardens.naturalorganicwarehouse ... uct_id=205

https://gardens.naturalorganicwarehouse ... uct_id=305