It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wasps nesting on porch
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:40 pm 

Every year we get stings from wasps that nest in the raised roof porch, under our pool slide, and multiple other area. These are reddish brown with yellow strips. I will try to post a picture. How can I discourage them from nesting in these daily used places? My husband is quick with pesticide but I want all organic. I must have a good solution. Any ideas I would welcome. Thanks!!
Never mind on the picture. I can not figure out how to make the file small enough for this website to accept.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:48 pm 

Ck this link

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Paint-Haint-Blue-Repelling-Bugs_vq2272.htm

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:30 pm 

I remember this. Has anyone tried the Haint blue paint and does it help discourage the wasps?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Haint-Blue-Pa ... vq2290.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:03 pm 

You can try this.

You'll need a partner, a bucket of ice water, and a hand sprayer with ice water in it. You'll also need a razor blade (like box cutter) and some Super Glue.

One person mans the bucket and the sprayer. The other mans the knife and super glue.

1. Toss the bucket of ice water on the nest while it is covered with wasps. You might practice this bucket tossing on another object to be sure you can do it well before goofing it up on a live wasp nest. Once the ice water hits them, all the wasps will fall to the ground. Use the sprayer if icy water to keep them cool. As long as they are cool they will be immobile.

2. Carefully (and quickly) scrape the nest off the house at the attachment point. Then glue it back up somewhere close by but where the wasps won't bother you. You might not want to stick around when the wasps warm back up.

Wasps are not aggressive unless they feel their nest is threatened. A nest on a slide is guaranteed trouble. Wasps nesting up in the rafters can easily be left alone. Learn not to swat at them. I had a wasp bump into my face and land on my glasses last week. I have been dealing with wasps on a mutual friendship basis for years so I left it alone to explore. Just as suddenly it jumped off my face and went back to the nest. That nest was there last year but was not big enough to be disturbed by my screen door. Now it is heavy with eggs and hanging down low. My back door is now off limits until I get around to moving the nest. Here is a picture of that nest. You can see where the door opening just barely touches the bottom of the nest. That is enough to send them all abuzz. If that happens, your best strategy is to close your eyes and stand perfectly still. If you feel one touching you, continue stand perfectly still. At the worst you will get stung once. If you start swatting you'll get several stings.

Wasps really are social critters. Once they learn your routine and learn that you are not a threat, they will leave you alone...as evidenced by how close I was able to get to take that picture and not have a single one jump off the nest.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:33 pm 

WOW!! Thanks Dchall_San_Antonio. That is great info. The wasps have decided finally that my front door (like your) is not for them. I guess they are tired of me removing the nests. I saw tonight in the Gardener's Supply catalog a fake wasp nest ( I did not look like yours or mine) and they claim putting up a fake nest will cause the wasps to avoid the area. You are so good to your that you would not have ever tried that. No one on the forum has suggested it. The other downside (besides getting stung twice) is I think they are munching on all my butterfly caterpillars. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:22 pm 

Wasps are equal opportunity feeders. Your butterfly caterpillars will go to their doom if you have wasps.

I have two wasp nests 10 feet apart in both the front and back of the house. Apparently they are not too territorial.