It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:19 pm 

I have a raised garden and carrots grew very well until the end and I noticed that the leaves were cut where the leaves met the carrot top. Now I am seeing the same problem with broccoli leaves. I have used Garrett Juice with orange oil, plant wash and yet the leaves keep getting cut off. The damage occurs at night but I still haven't been able to see whatever insect is doing this. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:39 pm 

Where are you and what are your typical garden pests?

I find snails do a lot of damage at night when my garden is tender. I set out shallow bowls with 1/2 to 1 inch of beer at night and they crawl to it and drown. You could also sprinkle some of the organic Sluggo bait - Howard said last year that he tried it in the garden and when everything was cleared out at the end of the season there were lots of dry white shells from the deceased snails.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:52 pm 

I am located in Carrollton TX. The beds are raised about 30 inches above the grassline. I haven't had this issue until I planted the carrots. I had several carrots that you could only see the green top and all the leaves would be laying on the ground. But the carrots are out and I just put the broccoli plants out. They are attacking the broccoli but not the Kale, tomatoes, or onions.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:59 pm 

You need to head out at night with the flashlight and see what's going on. Wait until it is dark long enough that there is some moisture at ground level, and I'll bet you have snails crawling out from daytime hiding places. They are very destructive.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:17 am 

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I went out at 11:30 pm with a flashlight and walked the entire garden and saw nothing but these giant gnats that are flying around at this time of the year; and one kale leaf was sawn off. This morning they got another kale leaf and literally felled a tomato plant (about 4" tall) like a tree; cut off about 3/4" above the soil line. I dug around in the soil near the affected plants and found nothing. Frustration abounds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:55 pm 

Finally figured it out that it was cutworms. One afternoon I happened to notice a tomato plant branch was laying on the ground shortly after I had inspected the garden. I noticed this caterpillar looking bug backing down the plants main stem. I put it in a bowl and it immediately curled up into a tight C shape. I googled cutworm images and there was its picture. Now when I notice a plant or branch down I call my 3 year old and she starts pawing the soil around the plant (she found 2 on her own) saying "I get that cutworm and you kill him". The things you can teach children. Happy to say I am still 100% organic.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:09 pm 

I had the exact same discovery. I've never had them before, but this year I have several per square foot of soil. Tomorrow I'm watering then putting out beneficial nematodes, and I'll spritz around the new plants with a mix (in water) of Garrett Juice, orange oil, and BT. And then I'll replant my tomatoes. All but four were clobbered by cutworms. I posted a blog entry about it under Member Blogs. Go to the last entry for more.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:46 am 

It's probably a cut worm. They come out at night (they live in the soil) and wrap themselves around the base of a plant and severe it completely...at soil level.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cutworm ... 80&bih=655

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:50 am 

It's not just a cutworm - it is an epidemic of cutworms like I've never seen. I haven't seen cutworms in 10 years in this house and yard, and now the place is crummy with them. As I think others in the area are discovering.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:47 am 

Put down beneficial nematodes. They should help the problem in your soil.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan