It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Need house geckoes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:29 pm 

Where can I buy or get house geckoes. Need them for roach control. The house I live in now has been sprayed by the previous owner every year for over 10 years. The roaches are so immune they use raid as recreational drug. I have birds, duprasis, rabbits, cavies, dogs,and cats.
I dont want to poison them. Had with geckoes before.but cant find them anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:19 am 

Maybe somebody in FW can share their gecko herd with you! Hope so! If not, you might want to try some of the insect controls you can find at the local organic stores. I have had great success with orange oil sprays, either the premixed products like Orange Guard or mixing orange oil in my cleaning liquids, etc. There's also a mint based spray by Victor Poison-Free that has killed any insect I've tried it on. I wouldn't use any of the boric acid products with so many animals. You can also sprinkle diatomaceous earth behind your large appliances for some control. And seal up any holes around plumbing, etc. that leads to underneath your house or outside. That'll help a lot. My cat takes care of any bugs that do get in my house pretty quickly; unforunately, she also gets the geckos that slip under the door! Your cat(s) might do the same. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:20 am 

Out of curiosity, what are duprasis and cavies? Just wondered...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:03 pm 

Cavies are Guinea pigs and duprasis are Egyptian fat tailed gerbilsThey have large tail that they store fat in to use when food is scarce in the desert. Thanks for the Victors mint. Had not heard of that. I clean everything with Orange TKO. I must be the only person in Ft Worth without geckos. I have a couple of large 8 inch lizards in the yard. They are too fast to identify.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:12 pm 

You have heard the phrase "If you build it, they will come..." and I believe that holds true for geckoes as well! Since I went organic about 12 years ago, I have noticed increasing numbers of lovely little lizards all over the place! There are the brown/brindle ones in the compost heap, their green cousins living in the holly and the oregano...and even the odd brownish one who found its way into a bathroom! I started seeing them about one-two years after I quit any kind of "pest control"!
I just leave 'em alone - and I don't have cats. My four dogs would not tolerate a feline - and they are all too spoiled to kill their own food, especially since what they would really like to eat are the squirrels.
I think that you will start noticing a gecko migration once the poison starts wearing off your house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:51 pm 

I have noticed fewer Geckos this Summer. It may be cyclical. Some years (like last year) we have bumper crops and some years are leaner. The only constant population is the anoles which never seem to increase or diminish in numbers.

Post subject: Geckos for sale
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:49 am 

I was at Petco yesterday and the one near my house had local species of both geckos and anoles for sale. I'd bet that drchelo is right, though; if you clean up the environment and make it friendly, they find their way there. I don't know about diminished populations elsewhere but I got a bumper crop this year...they're all over the place! The big lizards can sometimes eat the little guys but mostly they find a way to co-habitate and everyone gets a share of the food. Glad to hear you clean with TKO as you have probably detoxified a lot of the old poison, at least where you can get to it! Thanks for the info on the cavies and duprasis...never heard of those before! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:12 am 

I have the same number again this year... bright green ones amongst the holly and boxwoods and little brown ones out back amonsgt the azalea and Chinese photinia beds. And the same number of roaches too... little to none.

I'm convinced it's the no-chemicals reason, as my neighbors rarely see them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:50 am 

I take you are saying having geckoes is a good thing?

I logged on to see if they were harmful.

We just bought a "new" house about 3 miles away and they are all over the place at the new house. I've never seen them at my old house. I have a pest control guy come and spray for roaches every 3 months.

Roaches are still not under control though.

So, #1 - geckos are okay, good, what?

How to get a handle on the roaches?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:59 pm 

Geckoes very good. Pest control guy spraying toxic chemicals very bad.
Not only bad for humans and pets they become ineffective on roaches after a period of time. Try and catch some of the geckoes and move indoors and follow some of the suggestions in the answers to the original post. Also look at some of the older postings in this forum for more suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:20 pm 

Shoe50,

senegaltictac provided the answer. Call the pest control company and tell them "thanks, but no thanks". Count your blessing that you have these cool little creatures on your site. Don't do anything to harm or deter whatever gecko and/or anole population you have (like spraying toxic chemicals).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:57 pm 

"scales" on belt line road in Irving if they're still in business

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:51 pm 

Thanks Will look them up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:09 pm 

But if your objective is to get rid of roaches, why not use boric acid dust behind your oven, refrigerator, and under all the sinks? I've done that for 30 years and rarely see a roach indoors.

Living in South Central Texas, the roaches just look at you and say, "Howdy!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:17 pm 

senegaltictac, if you can figure out how to send me an email in this system and I can figure out how to retrieve it, I can probably spare a few of my lovely little house geckos. They're fat and sassy this year, even more than last year. (My house was rented out for many years before I bought it--so I think benign neglect spared a lot of the wildlife!). I live in Edgecliff Village, off I-820 at I-35W. I'm on a year-round creek, so there are plenty of bugs around for all of my critters to eat.

We have small garden snakes, tarantulas, toads, turtles, native lizards (they look like stretched out horned toads--I've looked them up but don't remember the name right now). And very few crickets or roachs. The tarantulas are looking sleek and fast.

One note--if you're going to let these guys loose in the house, you'd better not have cats. They're snacks for cats.

Northwesterner