It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:14 pm 

I have a 30 to 40 foot pecan tree. I've noticed some saw dust on the ground beneath it. After looking closely, I've discovered holes bored in the tree, as well as some black circles that look like burn marks. I've talked to some folks about this situation and have been told I have borers. I was told that the cure is lindane. After a trip to the near by home depot, I'm told that product is not availabe for use in the US any more as it is too dangerous to the environment. Now what do I use? This is a beautiful tree and I can't just stand by and let these varmints destroy it! Please help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:41 am 

LIndane is very toxic :shock: and it is good that it is off the market. The normal organic recommendation would be to spray beneficial nematodes onto the tree so they can get in the borer holes and prey on the borers. Then the sick tree treatment (available on this website) to boost your tree's health because borers normally only attack a tree that is in stress. I have used this method to great effect in the past. Another option that is only recently available is to use a spray product called Bioganic. It is available at most Lowe's stores in Texas and several of the independent stores too. You'll want to get the hose-end version as it can be sprayed pretty high in the tree. It's made from plant oils and blocks nerve receptors that are present only in insects so it's safe for your family, pets, birds, etc. but it will knock out the insects. Hope this is helpful. :D