It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:18 am 

Just moved into a 1920's house and I am concerned about mice and other rodents this winter. I have little ones with allergies so I am especially concerned. Not to mention the diseases the nasty nasty things carry. :x What can I do now and throughout the fall and winter to ward off any rodents. :x :?:

Post subject: rodents
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:54 am 

The best things I have used for mouse control are two indoor/outdoor cats. We live in rural Parker county and have not had a problem for over seven years. The cats also control/eliminate snakes. On the downside, they also hunt bunnies, lizards and birds. When they get bored or lazy, grasshoppers and butterflys are prey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:23 pm 

:( too bad i'm highly allergic to cats and so is my 13 month old. We have considered this still but I just would not feel right having a pet that could NEVER come into the house.
thanks anyway! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:11 am 

This summer spend lots of time checking your house for entry points. Take care of 'em before fall. Crawl around the foundation and get up on a ladder to check up high. Get up on the roof and check there, too. Mice and rats can get through the tiniest openings so caulk, repair, and eliminate all holes and cracks. Rodents will also enlarge smaller breaches. Put wire screen mesh over or in all the openings that need to be there (like foundation vents and such). Be sure to caulk around the spots where phone wires and TV cables enter the house. Some older houses have the electrical service panel outside. Mine does and I found huge holes in the back of it where rodents were entering. Look closely at your house and I think you'll be surprised at how many places there are for vermin to enter. Of course, buy a couple each of mouse traps and rat traps to use in your attic this winter when one of the little devils has breached your perimeter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:17 am 

Thanks Gecko. That is good advice, in fact I have warned my husband that we will be 'preparing' for winter like never before! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:22 am 

Also heard that horseapples help/work. We have begun collecting them to place all around our house and garage and even the perimeter of of our property along the fence. We may even grind some up and place in the crawl spaces.