It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:21 pm 

These are some pics of my tomato plants and potatoe plants. Does any one reconize what is wrong here? I can't find any descriptions of these symptoms in my gardening books.

Attachment:
may17th10 disease potatotomato beans 4.jpg
may17th10 disease potatotomato beans 4.jpg [ 204.46 KiB | Viewed 3944 times ]
Attachment:
may17th10 disease potatotomato beans 7.jpg
may17th10 disease potatotomato beans 7.jpg [ 159.97 KiB | Viewed 3940 times ]
Attachment:
may17th10 disease potatotomato beans 9.jpg
may17th10 disease potatotomato beans 9.jpg [ 166.56 KiB | Viewed 3941 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:41 am 

the first image almost looks like severe sun scald. Let me see if anyone else has an idea.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:47 pm 

First picture appears like a leaf miner or another chewing type of insect is getting into the softer leaf tissue between the viens and feasting. Their activity might result in some digestive juices being imparted into adjacent tissue and thus the lighter discolorations near the holes. In the second picture, are those small black specs the critters themselves ? Do you have a strong handlens magnifier ? Get one, and make close observations of both sides of a freshly-picked leaf. You just might see them in the act !....of eating or reproducing.

I would be inclined to make up a batch of the Plant Wash solution (1+ oz. per gallon) and give those plants a cleaning. At this point, from what you have shown us, it's worth a try. Some DE on the ground around the base stem would be a good 'minefield' for anything crawling or walking to your plants as well as a fine dusting upon the leaves when rain is not imminent.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:36 pm 

RossK, I'm sorry to be so long responding to your post. I have also been posting these pictures in the Vegetables Fruit Forum where I have posted more details. The black specks are just little flaws in the tarp I laid the leaves on. The potato plants got really stressed because of the way I mulched them. Those holes came from places that first lightened and then dried up, but I figure it happened inthe first place because of the underlying stress. Those plants lasted long enough to give me a few meals worth of potatoes and now the space has gone to a new crop of summer greens. I have started using DE in general, but I don't know 'plant wash' that you mentioned. Details? Thanks