It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Pests in veggie garden
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:00 am 

This year I am planting heirloom seeds/plants so I expect to have more problems with pests. (Last year we planted hybrid varieties so our pest problem was kept at a minimum but many of the veggies were tasteless). Any suggestions as to what I can do as a preventative measure? I am planting the usual spring veggies. My soil is great, I use compost and organic fertilizer. I will not use pesticides. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:44 am 

After the plants get about 3 to 6 inches, mulch the hell out of them with shreded cedar. Make sure it still has a strong cedar smell before applying.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:41 am 

Just stay organic and never use insecticides or herbicides. When you stop poisoning the beneficial insects, lizards, toads, and birds, it is amazing what they will do to help control your pests for you.

Cool avatar Dirt Face.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:07 am 

First time one - just joined Dirt Doctor. Trying to figure out how these forums work. Last year I planted two cantaloupe vines and was thrilled when they became loaded. I waited and waited and finally just had to lift one up to look at. To my horror from the bottom and back was completly hollowed out (as with a cantaloupe baller) haha One by one discovered they all were. So I just had to rip them out. I do know since moving to Texas I believe we have "roof rats" and have trapped several. So..........I guess this could be my problem? Is there anything I could put around that is organic and will not :cry: hurt my pets that will keep these nasty little things away. I'm a senior gal and pretty discouraged. I have a tiny yard and just wanted to throw in a tomato plant or two and a fruit if I can. Any ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:48 pm 

Hi Golfin,
Welcome to the Dirt Doctor forums. Here's how they work. Someone will start a new topic or "thread" by asking a question. Someone else will reply and maybe several people will start a little discussion. As the discussion goes on sometimes it will drift off in a slightly different direction, but usually stays close to the original topic. If you want to ask a question that is not in line with the way the conversation is going, then you should start a new thread or new topic. Otherwise nobody will know where to go to find your question and give you the best answer. I suggest a new topic for you. Be sure to describe what roof rats are. I'm thinking Norwegian rats but you might have something else in mind.