It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:26 am 

Our coneflower plant is under attack by something. The leaves look like they're being eaten but I can't find anything in the act. All I've found is whiteflies and they don't look large enough to make these holes (1/4 to 1 inch i diameter).

Nevertheless, I'm trying to get rid of the whiteflies. I first tried Ecoexempt, thinking it must have been something other than whiteflies but that didn't help. Then, I tried garlic pepper tea -- with and without seaweed. That didn't seem to bother them at all. Finally, I used Greenlight Brand Rose Defense Oil of Neem and that seemed to get rid of them. It's only been a couple of days so I'll see how that goes. Given the size of the holes in the leaves though, I still have some doubts about it being the whiteflies. I'm looking for a little reassurance that I'm on the right track.

I'll try to post a picture of my coneflower later.

Update#1: Here are some pictures of our coneflower that is under attack. You might notice the dark seaweed stains on the coneflower. That's residue from my GPT+Seaweed attempt.

Attachments:
Coneflower1a-1.jpg
Coneflower1a-1.jpg [ 196.25 KiB | Viewed 3114 times ]
Coneflower2-1.jpg
Coneflower2-1.jpg [ 177.93 KiB | Viewed 3113 times ]
Coneflower1b.jpg
Coneflower1b.jpg [ 185.78 KiB | Viewed 3113 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:15 am 

No way white flies doing that. Lift up the leaves and look at the under sides for some type of larvae. It may take a while. This plant is a host for some moths and butterflies. Up to you if you want to kill them or not.