It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wasps.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:28 am 

Okay is there a sure fire organic instant kill method of getting rid of wasps and nest. I am not up for the spray the nest and run around the yard for dear life method. I currently use a chemical wasp / hornet killer because I do not know of any organic means of dropping the little buggers where they stand. I would normally leave them alone but they like to build their nests under my deck stairs so that is not an option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:12 am 

I'll tell you how but I can almost guarantee you'll still run around the yard for dear life even though you've dropped them.

You'll need a gallon bucket, a 16 or 32 ounce hand sprayer, ice, water, and a razor blade. Fill the bucket with ice and then fill it again with water so you have a gallon of ice water. You're going to throw the ice water at the nest :shock: :shock: Do you see where the running around the yard part comes in? Before you do that, be sure you have a hand sprayer full of ice water, too. You wouldn't want the little guys waking up in the middle of this project, would you?

What you're going to do is throw the water on the nest and then run around the yard. In about 5 seconds you'll realize you're not being chased. Look back gingerly at the nest and you'll see some wasps in suspended animation. You'll probably see some on the ground, too. Spray them all with the ice water in the hand sprayer to make sure they're frozen in time. Be careful not to step on any, either. Then take the razor blade and separate the nest from the surface of whatever it's stuck to. After you have the nest, you can relocate it anywhere in the yard that is a better location than under your stairs. Attach it with staples or a thumbtack or something.

Any problems with that approach?? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:36 pm 

I guess that would work. Though I do not know of any place that I would really want to relocate them. I have a three year old boy that has an obsession with playing with bugs. Do you see where I am going with that one? :shock: So I generally try to keep my house and cedar trees wasp free.

BTW This would work for places low to the ground but not places like the eave of a house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:10 pm 

cwilson

I have been successful in forcing yellow jackets out of the attic by spraying with a strong (1 oz in a 32 oz spray bottle) orange oil and water solution. This will unfortunately result in the death of some of the wasps, but some appear to escape. This method while hard on the wasps, does eliminate the need for the use of toxic chemicals. It is good to work with a red lens on a flashlight and wait until dark when all of the wasps have returned to the nest. Be sure to have an escape route for yourself as this will not endear you to the wasps. :shock: I can't tell how high up on the eaves these nests are so this method may or may not be effective for you. No need for a razor blade. Once the wasps have left the nest just pull it away. They are generally not attached that firmly and thus you won't damage the nest. If the nest is too high, during the heat of the day when most of the wasps are out foraging, hit the nest with a strong blast of water from your hose and you should be able to dislodge it easily.

I can't tell if Dchall_San_Antonio's post was a joke or not. Plain old tap water drops a wasp quickly. It appears until its wings are dried it is temporarily "grounded". I doubt that ice water enhances that effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:01 am 

Regular tap water works? Who'd'a thought?!

I think the guy who suggested the approach I described was thinking of slowing down the wasps with the chill effect.

My daughter (when she was three) got over her obsession with playing with bugs real fast when she picked up a wasp on her wrist in the pool and started petting it. She's okay with them now and knows not to play with them, to leave them alone, and not swat at them.