It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: veggie garden
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:56 am 

I have grown a garden (or what resembles a garden) the last couple of years. I have had succuess with cantalope, watermelon, bell peppers and okra. But the peas, tomatoes, green onions, carrots and radishes will come up and bloom and look good but will only produce small results if any. They seem to grow and just stop. Is it the soil? I have the typical clay soil, I mixed in several bags of top soil, about four bags of peatmoss and four bags of cow manure in a fifteen by twentyfive foot area. I'm new to organics. I did use (should I say it?) sevendust and miricale grow last year but that was before I started reading about organic gardening, so don't cast me out.

Genesis 2:15 - The LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to till it and keep it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:40 pm 

I can only give you limited advice as I am novice to organic gardening. Forget the Miracle Grow and Sevin Dust.....dispose of responsibly.

My first try at gardening with Garrett Juice and lots of compost was beyond incredible. Howard Garrett has a book for vegetable gardening that is outstanding and I highly recommend it. It is fascinating and encouraging and enlightening to experience the results of organic gardening and all I can say is "try it, you'll like it!" Many good wishes your way- Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:46 am 

Those plants you had success with are perfect for Texas and will grow no matter what you do. Carrots need lighter, sandier soil to grow their big root into the ground. Peas take a lot of room, you don't get much for your effort but I like to eat them right out of the garden. I had success sewing them in early fall so the seeds and seedlings could be warm but the mature plants could be cool. I like growing cool veggies in the fall. Tomatoes, onions, and radishes I have all grown with success but maybe they don't like the chemicals.

Better veggie growing:

Find good compost. Generally the best stuff costs more but it's worth it. Have a pickup? Living Earth Technologies has it at a bargain per pickup load. Mound this up as your soil. Add to the top inch or so lava sand, green sand, rock powder, cornmeal, molasses, and humate. Most import of those is the cornmeal and molasses but they all help. With good quality compost you shouldn't need to fertilize but a foliar feed would be good when the plants mature.

Never use peat moss. It is a dead material and is expensive. Top soil is ok but it's better to put money into compost which is like super fertilized top soil. Cow manure is alright but the cheap stuff sometimes has weed seed from the plants the cows ate.

I hope I helped. Ask more questions if something isn't clear. I don't even have to say good luck if you use organics because it always works!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:07 pm 

Don't forget to folair feed the plants. Last year I got 3 tomatoes off of 6 plants until I started to folair feed, thank you Kathe Kitchens. Then I was getting so many I was giving them away to the neighbors. I kind of got carried away with the folair feeding. Sometime twice a week, but the plants looked so much better and produced much more. This year I will start the folair feeding much earlier to get even more. I make 5 galllons of compost tea at a time.

Post subject: veggie garden
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:14 pm 

Thanks to everyone for your reply!
I do have questions at this time. Where is Living Earth Technologies, do they have all the materials mentioned,(lavasand, greensand etc.) and what is foliar feed?
Thanks again!

Genesis 2:15 - The LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to till it and keep it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:45 pm 

There is a Living Earth Technologies in Red Oak and other metro locations. Do a search for their website. They have lava sand, greensand, mulch, compost and other items by the 1/2 yard and yard. Buy 1/2 yard.

Foliar feeding is taking a liquid fertilizer, organic of course, and spraying it onto plants. Plants can take up an amazing amount of nutrients through their leaves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:11 pm 

If you have access to free cattle manure, start stockpiling it now for use next year. It should not be used in the year it was created (in my opinion). Manure smells bad for a reason - to keep other animals away from it. Once it is composted it smells fantastic. Then it is okay to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:41 am 

This maybe too late but here is my advice. Marshall Grain in downtown Ft Worth, real jsut east of downtown near Hwy 180 and Beach St has everything you need and they are the best priced. If you want to pick up your own material you can go to Silver Creek Material on the west side of Ft. Worth or they will deliver if you need several yards of material.