It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: bugs on veggies
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:13 am 

Here's my problem. I have tomatoes and three types of peppers growing. The plants are doing GREAT. Which is saying a lot because the last two years I've tried growing veggies to no avail. It didn't help that I was having a hard time protecting them from kids, dogs and the hubby getting trigger happy with the weed eater...lol. :? But now that I've solved that problem I have another one. BUGS! I have these beautiful plants that seem to be producing well but the bugs are eating them. :roll: I have no clue what kind of bugs but they are doing damage. I finally got two red tomatoes and both were eaten through from some sort of critter. :( ICK! Somebody help. I miss the taste of home grown veggies and the bugs are enjoying what I've worked so hard to grow! :x

mannadoll

Post subject: Veggie Rescue
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:18 pm 

A good regular foliar spray can keep the bugs from your veggies, especially tomatoes and peppers.

Use Garrett juice with garlic and hot pepper or just compost tea, molasses and garlic. They don't like the taste and the spray boosts the immune system of the plant.

If you don't want to mix your own spray, get some Garrett Juice, Bioform liquid or compost tea and molasses and add a clove of crushed garlic or garlic oil and spray it on your plants. Do it in the early morning or evening after direct sun is over. It'll perk 'em up quickly.

And put some cornmeal in the ground around your veggies. It makes them so much healthier!

Hope that helps!
:D Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:24 am 

THANKS! My hubby put out some cedar stuff. I didn't know what that was but the guy at Home Depot said it would work. I hope it doesn't hurt anything.......But I'll use the stuff you suggested too.

mannadoll

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:40 pm 

I'm not sure you meant cedar mulch when you said cedar "stuff" but make SURE that anything you put in a garden where you'll be eating from is totally organic.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:57 pm 

the guy at Home Depot said it was, but I'll check to make sure. I think it's called Cedar-Cide.....Ring any bells?

mannadoll

Post subject: Cedar-cide
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:51 pm 

Yes, cedar-cide is a good product and just fine for veggies. But you are only repelling the insects with a smell when the root is the health level of the plant. Plants in stress attract insects. Plants that are healthy don't. So the foliar feed and cornmeal make the plant healthier and it doesn't attract insects, like you stay healthy and you don't get a bad case of the flu. Does that make sense?

Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:21 pm 

Makes perfect sense. We will be keeping the plants fertilized. That's no problem. The plants are doing GREAT. And I actually have gotten 7 ripe cherry tomatoes so far that didn't have anything wrong with them....YUM! They're so good. I wish I'd gotten the bigger tomatoes. I meant to but didn't pay attention and planted the wrong thing...OOPS. But cherry tomatoes are just as good...Thanks for the advice!

mannadoll