It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Livestock Guardian Dog
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:30 pm 

It is with great sorrow that we have to find another home for our Great Pyrenees/Anatolian Shepard mix female dog. These breeds have been bred to guard livestock for hundreds of years. She has been spayed and is about 4 years old. She is death on coyotes, hawks and varmits but gentle as a lamb around kids and adults. She stays with the goats most of the time and keeps them safe and happily grazing.
Her problem is one we cannot correct without resorting to expensive methods or more confinement than we are prepared to put her through. She likes to roam a couple of times a week and ends up at one of our neighbors. We need to find her a place bigger than ours rather than finding new ways to confine her. We know she will be miserable if we did.
If you know someone who is interested please contact us.
A picture of the dog is here: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=
Tony M
972-837-2090

Last edited by Tony M* on Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Dear Sweet Dog
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:26 pm 

If I could take this dog, I would do it in a heartbeat. I urge anyone who has the space and has considered acquiring a dog like this to take Tony up on his offer. She is wonderful. I know it breaks his heart :cry: to let her go and he would only do so because it is best for her. Somebody is going to get a great animal.
Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:35 am 

Tony,

What is her problem. Is it the hips? What does she need to be confined to?

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:12 am 

Hi,

Let me explain a little better. (I'm Tony's wife).

Our Great Pyrenees/Anatolian Shepard mix, Candy, is a healthy, loving, super sweet dog that is gentle with children. She is great with goats, chickens and cats. She is a good protector from predators. But she has defeated our attempts to keep her in a fenced pasture. We have woven sheep and goat fencing and cattle panel. If she wants to get out, she will either climb over or dig out under.

She mostly stays on our property, but does roam off the property some. We live next to a busy farm to market road (FM) and the traffic moves very quickly. We worry about her getting hit, although we have been lucky so far. She has now decided she likes to visit the neighbor (across the street) and they are starting to find her sleeping in their garage. She's so sweet that they aren't freaking about it, but we don't know what to do other than to tie her up.

Aside from the fact that a chained dog can't be a livestock guardian, it would just take a huge toll on her I'm afraid. We got her from the Great Pyrenees rescue organization and something in her past makes her somewhat untrusting of people at times. If she thinks she is going to be punished, she will run away from us. I'm afraid if we were to tie her, we wouldn't ever be able to let her off the chain. If we did, she wouldn't let us catch her again.

Besides her occasional fear of humans (example, sometimes she will not let you get close to her to pet her), she has a few other unrational fears. She is deathly afraid of hot air ballons and, unfortunately, we are on the path for them. She is also afraid of gun shots. Interestingly, she wants to hide from hot air balloons (in our garage is best), but when she hears guns, she usually wants to be glued to our side.

What situation do I think would be best for Candy? Caring owner, larger property (we have 10 acres), small livestock to watch after (like goats, sheep, chickens), further from busy road and neighbors. Not in the middle of a hunting lease. She would probably do well with another livestock guardian dog to keep her company.

Mary Ann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:10 pm 

how is she with birds??? I am having pure h ll with co yotes rading my guineas and peafowl? My neighbor has these dogs, but one of his young ones chases my chickens. I live near austin on 70 acres but the house fronts a busy farm to market road - we are about 600 feet from road. I would love to have a bona fied guard dog that would keep the predators off my property and my birds safe. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:26 pm 

We're going to put a hold on the dog offer for now, we are trying a new idea to keep her from straying. It should be obvious that we don't want to lose this dog but her safety and happiness comes first.
I'll keep ya'll posted.
Thanks for the pm's of encouragement and interest.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:47 pm 

My chow chow was an escape artist. She would chew her way through any wooden fence and climb under the chain link fence. I finally got a scrap chain link fence and laid it down on our side of the fence, wired it to the real fence, and laid sod over it. That finally stopped her from digging out. She died several years ago and the fence worked just fine with our other dog. He died last year and we got Sandy this past Feb. Sandy is half chow half Spitz. She can climb over the chain link fence! So I ended up going with electric and grounding the hot wire with the chain link. That way when she's climbing the fence and hits the hot wire, it is the max pulse on her nose. She has climbed out twice right after we got the hot wire but seems to have settled in now. Still I'm not turning off the fence! Funny thing about these chows is when they escape they sit right outside the fence. They just want to be on the outside, not the inside.