It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:03 pm 

First of all, thanks to David for his response to my inquiry regarding fly control on cattle. Now, three more questions... :D

What is the technique/products for worm control on cattle?

I bought a bag of "natural products" from Rowena Milling. The products are whole cottonseed and cane molasses. I can't help but wonder about the cottonseed since so many farmers use a herbicide to kill the cotton plants. Thoughts? What mineral/protein supplements are y'all using.

Regarding the use of orange oil for fly control, I assume the orange oil is diluted with water....at what mixture?

THANKS!!!!

...ron...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:13 am 

Contton seed meal is terrible - most of it is GMO -
Genetic engineered to tolerate more round up
herbicide. Plus w/o GMO it will lower fertility of
cows.
Unless we get an unusual problem, which has
happened on 3 calves, we only use DE - every
day in ground up alfalfa - and Basic H in the water
4 times/year to control all worms in cattle and
horses. We have not had any bot flies for 7 years
in the horses.
We also feed humates in with salt from Redmond
Mineral Co and their finisher mix. We also feed
organic hay fertilized with sea water, liquid humates,
and molasses. we are adding compost tea to hay
feilds this year.
Almost all cotton is GMO, 85% of Soy is GMO and
50% of corn is GMO. This is not go for animals or
people.
Robert D Bard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:11 am 

Robert,

Is it correct that Redmond Salt is $4 per pound? I found the 25 lb bulk box for $99 on their Web site. That's outrageous! Or is it available somewhere else for less? I feed Dynamite Natural Trace Mineral salt for MUCH less!

>we only use DE - every day in ground up alfalfa
Do you have an issue with coughing? My horses cough when I feed them dry DE, so that causes me concern about what the DE dust might be doing to their lungs or nasal passages. Also, DE alone didn't totally control parasites.

For the person that initially inquired about parasite control, it is imperative to understand that environment is the most significant factor. My horses are out 24/7, which I think is best, and have access to shelter if they decide they need it or want it. However, the pasture leaves everything to be desired because of that. Too me, its worth it. I think my horses are better off being out all the time on bad pasture than confined to a stall anytime. I try to make sure I support their immune system the best I can and give them access to high quality grass hay to attempt to compensate for the poor pasture quality.

>and Basic H in the water 4 times/year to control all worms in cattle and
horses

How do you use the Basic H for the horses? Is 4 times per year at each of the season changes?

>We have not had any bot flies for 7 years in the horses.
I've never had bots and don't use chemical wormers either. Bots aren't really an issue.

>We also feed humates
What kind of humates? Do you feed this to the horses also?

>Almost all cotton is GMO, 85% of Soy is GMO and 50% of corn is GMO. This is not go for animals or people.

or the environment.

Thanks,
Kathy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:22 am 

Kathy, regarding the Redmond salt, ck with your area feed store. It is much cheaper than you saw on their website. I'm guessing at $20 or less for 50#. If the feed store doesn't have it, have them ck w/Natural First or Rabbit Hill. I believe both of them distribute the salt. Excellent salt!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:11 am 

DE never had a horse, cow, or goat caugh with DE in alfalfa. Remember the DE they drop in the fields goes to replace trace minerals and bulid your soil.
Redmond salt is not that expensive and there is non better.
Basic H is four times a year as the spirt moves me. The recommended amount is 1 cup per 100 gals of water. It will also prevent anything from growing in a stock tank. It will also kill thousands of flies/tank. I guess the surfactant effect kills flies as they land for water.
I buy humates from feed store or supplier in 50# bags and put 1 os + per bucket. This is the same stuff I get in 1 ton/bags to put on on the pastures to build humas.
If you have no bot flies, consider yourself lucky as you are the first person I have heard from that didn't have them.
Robert D Bard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:14 am 

>DE never had a horse, cow, or goat caugh with DE in alfalfa
Alfalfa hay?

>DE they drop in the fields goes to replace trace minerals and bulid your soil.
Yes, and?

>Redmond salt is not that expensive and there is non better.
Have you analyzed every natural salt on the market to make such a statement? Please provide some scientific facts to back up such an outrageous claim. It is my opinion that you can't get better natural products for your animals than Dynamite Products. But, I haven't seen an analysis of every natural product on the market to back up my opinion.

>It will also prevent anything from growing in a stock tank.
Then, I'll pass for my horses. If it kills the stuff growing in the tank, what does it do for their gut flora? As most horse owners know, the most significant things we can do to prevent colic is make free choice minerals available and maintain healthy gut flora. Since I feed them to try to maintain the healthiest gut flora possible, I'll pass on giving them anything that will destroy it.

I know horse owners that put bleach in their water tank. I can't believe that they think this is healthy for their animals.

>I buy humates ... put 1 os + per bucket.
Per bucket of what?

>If you have no bot flies, consider yourself lucky as you are the first person I have heard from that didn't have them.

If? So now you are questioning my word? Luck is notae word in my vocabulary. I know many people that maintin their environment and their animals that do not have a problem with bots.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:13 pm 

I have farmed for years. I have experience. I have
interviewed some of the most knowledgeable people
in the organic farm and health movement. I have
read everything I can get my hands on by some of
the most knowledgeable people in the world. I just
interviewed Joe Frances yesterday. He is 88 years
young and has worked and learned with the past
leaders that have been dead for 20 to 40 years.
You ask questions and I have shared their knowledge
and mine with you. If you don't like it, do your own
thing.
I have never heard of the minerals you mentioned,
Redmond has been considered the best by people
long before I got involved.
If you don't want to use basic H as a wormer - fine,
but if it is good enough for Joel Salatin, then I will
use it.
I did not question your integrity. It was a figure of
speech.
I use DE in ground up alfalfa + humates.
Good luck.
Robert D Bard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:13 pm 

Robert,

This will be my last comment. I'd be happy to take this private if you want to continue to discuss.

I respect that you have been farming for years and done extensive research. But, why is that you think you are the only one who has done research and that your research far exceeds anything the rest of us could do? Why is it that you don't think there is anything you can learn from me? You've never heard of Dynamite products, so that means they can't be good. That makes no sense to me.

I didn't realize I needed your permission to "do my own thing". Wait a minute, this is Independence Day, and God blessed me by placing me in the U.S., where I can do it MY way! So, I'll continue to try to learn from people that actually want to share their knowledge of the organic way. One of the things that attracted me most to Howard's radio program was that he wasn't an obnoxious, rude, no-it-all like that other guy. He truly wants to convert the world, one listener/reader at a time.

Your posts never have a spirit of "sharing knowledge". They have a spirit of "I know everything and there is no other way to do it than my way", no other cows to raise than ones you raise, no other feed to feed than what you feed, no other way to take care of our hay fields than your way, no other minerals to feed than what you feed, no other way to control parasites than your way.

Yes, there are other ways. I think I'll go do some more research.

Robert D Bard wrote:
I have farmed for years. I have experience. I have
interviewed some of the most knowledgeable people
in the organic farm and health movement. I have
read everything I can get my hands on by some of
the most knowledgeable people in the world. I just
interviewed Joe Frances yesterday. He is 88 years
young and has worked and learned with the past
leaders that have been dead for 20 to 40 years.
You ask questions and I have shared their knowledge
and mine with you. If you don't like it, do your own
thing.
I have never heard of the minerals you mentioned,
Redmond has been considered the best by people
long before I got involved.
If you don't want to use basic H as a wormer - fine,
but if it is good enough for Joel Salatin, then I will
use it.
I did not question your integrity. It was a figure of
speech.
I use DE in ground up alfalfa + humates.
Good luck.
Robert D Bard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:29 pm 

dicksie-
I like and respect Robert, but I have no reason to take sides in this discussion.
What I like most about your response is that it should make us all think about what we say and what we are doing.
I think Robert is just as good a student as he is a teacher. Even if you haven't made an inpact on his thinking, you have made one on mine.
Thanks for the discussion, both Robert and dicksie.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:39 pm 

Tony,

Thanks for your comments. I really hope there isn't a side to take.

I try to listen to what people are saying, but rarely take anyone's word as the final authority, and do some research. I LOVE research! Information is what I was seeking when I posed my original question.

dicksie