It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:06 pm 

I saw in the "moss in pond" thread that one of my "neighbors" is on the board! I live near Kemp (off 2860 near 175), and I've been wondering who is the most organics-friendly place in the area?

Here are my experiences:

Kaufman Feed & Seed seems amenable to the idea, and will special-order (supposedly from the same sources as Marshall Grain Co), but doesn't stock organics.

Cordell's has a small organic section, but all the labels and signs are faded, and the staff didn't seem to think much of it.

Peterson's Feed should be avoided if possible, despite the fact that it's owned by a large animal veterinarian. They told me that DE will cut through your animals' intestines! :shock: Unfortunately, they're the only local source for the steamed, crimped oats we like for our horses (Supremo/Heritage brand from Big V in McAlester).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:19 pm 

Posted in Error

Last edited by Russ on Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:20 pm 

Hey Robert, I live near County Line and 274 and I believe there is a totally organic supplier in Tool just south of Seven Points. I will report back when I find out the name. I know for sure there is a supplier in Athens and it is possible that Clemmo Feed and Tac may have some organic products. I get my dog's dogfood there, it is the Muenster Feed Brand.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:24 am 

Hey ya'll! Go by Saddle Up Western Wear & Feed for organics in Kaufman County! Melissa in there is a big organics buff and will have what you want or get it for you quickly. Look for their contact information in The Source in Equine Times (next to Malcolm Beck) or I'll just be friendly and tell you they are on 175 just east of Kaufman on the north side of the highway. Their phone number is 972-962-6511. Tell them I sent you!

Kathe :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:54 am 

We Apply Organic Fertilizers in your area, as well as ship anywhere in the country. Or you are welcome to come out and visit with us at our Working Organic Ranch, north of Tyler. We can figure out what fertilizers you need and get you on the road to Healthier Soil.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:16 am 

Kathe Kitchens wrote:
Hey ya'll! Go by Saddle Up Western Wear & Feed for organics in Kaufman County! Melissa in there is a big organics buff and will have what you want or get it for you quickly. Look for their contact information in The Source in Equine Times (next to Malcolm Beck) or I'll just be friendly and tell you they are on 175 just east of Kaufman on the north side of the highway. Their phone number is 972-962-6511. Tell them I sent you!

Kathe :D

I stopped by this morning, and I'm very glad you posted their info! The store has a whole lot of western wear, a small selection of tack (scheduled for expansion), and a nice, fresh set of organics. Definitely better than Cordell's cobwebbed "organics" shelf! Now I know where to go for things like dried molasses and compost tea (both of which were in stock, right there on the shelf) for my daughter's new garden.

I mentioned the dirtdoctor.com forum, but forgot to mention Kathe by name. Sorry!

One thing that threw me off, though... the place was neat as a pin. That's not what I'm used to in a feed store! I think they need to bust out a few lights, put some dead critters on the walls, and spill some grain on the floor. *Then* it'll feel like a feed store. :)

Post subject: Saddle Up
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:34 am 

Great! I'm glad you went by. They DO have an awfully neat store, don't they? :lol:

I'll tell Melissa you were very pleased and will spread the word. I'm going by later today.

Kathe

Post subject: Kaufman County Supplier
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:18 am 

I own an organic products and natural animal feed, etc., retail delivery biz. I can bring what you need to Kaufman area for about what you'd pay at most feed/private garden centers.

Marie Tedei
Eden's Organic Garden Center
eogc@airmail.net