It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How many Cows
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:46 pm 

Can anyone tell me the load (number of cows) I can place on 79 acres of mixed brush, grass, and mesquite. This is located between Lockhart Texas and Bastrop Texas about 30 miles south of Austin Texas. It has ample water, in two tanks one spring fed. The land has only been used for grazing for the past 25 years, no improvements/admentments, no chemicals either (I think). My goal is to maintain the grass and not over graze. Eventually, I want to clear all mesquite and cedar and replant grasses. any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:46 am 

I don't know as much as others but I'll give my ideas.

I think you should start ten head, smaller the better, and see how the land responds. Ideally you want many paddocks to rotate the cattle so they eat the grass and as many weeds as possible then move them so the grass in that paddock has about 80 days to recover. With only two water sources you will have to do some creative fencing or provide metal/rubber water troughs.

Also if you are willing to put up goat fencing, following the cattle with goats is usefull because they eat a lot of weeds the cattle won't.

Do some research on "grass farming". There are some great web sites, books and magazines with lots of information. Good luck.

Post subject: how many cows
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:34 am 

There are a lot of varibles, but it all boils down to % of grass to % of brush. How big are the cows - mini cows are ok with 2 to 3 per acres in ideal grass where 1 large mutant might require 2 acres with ideal grass. You need to learn about MIG manage intensive grazing. Best info is Stockman Grass Farmer. Alan Nations the editor has a great book on grass farming. They are not not into as much organics as AcresUSA. You don't have to follow with goats - they can graze together. Many goats are trained with electric fence - which is a lot cheaper than any kind of netting. Goat meat is in such demand that you can't imagine the money invovled and they will get rid of your brush problems and make you money at the same time. Also goats don't like grass compared to weeds and brush.
Robert D Bard