It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:46 am 

Can I feed the animal grade DE to the llamas with their oats and dried mollases and will it help? This would be free choice correct?. I am also mixing in with that corn gluten meal and then adding trace minerals. The 3 llamas seem to love it and they each eat about 1 lb of this mixture per day. Am I doing a good thing here?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:51 pm 

I'm not familiar at all with llama ranching, but that never stopped me from commenting. Just out of curiosity, how much land and how many llamas? I'm curious because you're feeding them oats. Couldn't you pasture them and feed them nothing but mineral? The answer to that is no if you have don't have enough land for the number of llamas.

Is it normal to put molasses into free choice mineral? Seems like they'd eat sand if you put molasses in it. It also seems like the ones at the zoo eat anything anyway. They have this expensive food you can buy for them but I pick up oak leaves on the ground and they seem to prefer that over the pricy food.

Okay, back to DE. Why are you feeding that to them? Do they have worms? If so, is the DE helping?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:54 am 

3 llamas on 27 acres and they have plenty of organic grass. no pesticides or herbicides. I feed this to them as a treat so that they dont go wild on us. if you just leave them to grass they will not be as easy to handle. I am using the de so that they dont get worms and supposedly helps with flies. I use minerals that are lightly sprinkled over their oats mixture. i know very little about llamas as these are about 6 months old. Thanks for your help.

Rick