It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: I Love Chickens
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:42 pm 

Story time:

When I first got chickens, 10 pullets, I had a dog named Ginger. Ginger was a German shepherd and seemed to find my new birds very interesting. We would watch her following/herding them. Then one day I saw my sweet dog trotting across the yard with a chicken in her mouth! I yelled, she dropped the dead bird. I checked the bird and not a scratch or drop of blood. She literally played with it to death. Chickens are fairly fragile. When I went to check on my remaining birds they were all dead save one. I was crushed and mad and determined.

I bought 25 chicks and vowed to make it work. When the chicks were half grown I put them in the chicken coop. Inside the chicken coop I put Ginger's dog crate. I left her in there with them for an hour a day. After a week I took out the crate and put in a chair for me. I literally sat in the chicken coop with Ginger for an hour a day. It was so hilarious. Those birds would peck her and one even kept trying to ride her. Eventually, Ginger didn't mind hanging out with the chicks. I let everyone out to roam our property. Ginger never did hurt another chicken!

Moral of the story: With proper guidance anything is possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:27 pm 

What a great story! Thanks! Hope all is well in your world. How does the cemetery look?

(For those of you wondering, "What cemetery?"
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2886
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2555

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:55 pm 

Glad you enjoyed.

The cemetery looks great. The chatalpa tree didn't flower this year but looks great. Some people in the church have gotten out there to do extra mowing and work so that is encourage. The plants we put in are good but the large weeds have sprung up. I need to get out there and pull, pull, pull.

Thanks for everyone's help. (You know who you are. :)

Write more later. Dinner burning...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:21 pm 

Great to hear the cemetery is doing good. It is such a good feeling to know that we kept MSMA out of there and turned it into organic. I think we all had a good time. Nadine and I talked about it all the way back to her house. How are the flowers and bushes doing along the house? They sure looked good after Kathe and company finished. Everybody. Next time you may want to volunteer your time. It was such an educational experience for me. Both Kathe and Nadine are great teachers. I learn so much everytime I work with them. I come home and apply what I have learned.