It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:56 pm 

We recently bought a nice Ranch that has 50 acres of hay growing capacity, with another 25 we are using for cows. Any hay grower wants to find the best product for the intended market. I can't get anyone to solidly confirm where our hay market might be. So I could use some help.

One pasture is a Bahia/coastal mix. Another is Klein/Johnson with some Jiggs. Sadly, the fields haven't been tended to for several years. Should we till some of it over and plant something else?

I've done multiple searches and wading through them is turning into a real pain. What I need is a "Growing Hay for Dummies" guide.

Can anyone enlighten me? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:33 am 

Congratulations on your new place.

You mention two totally different markets in your topic title: Horses/Cows.

Unless the field is weed free and pure coastal, I would say you'll have trouble marketing it as "horse hay"

The bahia/coastal mix would be fine for horses, but the serious horse guys want the best and won't want the bahia.

As far as the Cows, the bahia/coastal is fine. Just be sure you cut it before the bahia gets too stemmy. It can get really tough as it matures and requires a strong tractor and a sharp mower if it goes to long (not to mention tough teeth in the animals that will eventually chew it).

It will be difficult to convert the field to pure coastal "the natural way." About the only chemical that will take bahia out of bermuda is 1/3 oz of "Ally" per acre but that will not fit an organic program.

As far as the other patch (Klein/Johnson with some Jiggs) here you're still talking cow hay for the most part.

Post subject: best hay
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:10 am 

Are you a miner or consumer? If you are a
miner. you will continue harvesting and
selling what nutrition you have to others
and your land will get worse with every
cutting. If you are a consumer, you will
only use hay for your needs and keep
circulating the cow or horses "end" product
back into your soil. You need to apply
trace minerals on your land. I like bahia
as it has a lot of nutrition when managed
correctly. It is the last to be bothered by
a drought and it is the last to turn brown
and stop growing in the fall. You have
what Joel Salatin refers to a salad bar for
you animals.
Robert D Bard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:59 am 

We have an Organic Fertilizer Program for Hay and Grazing Pastures. We have been in the organic business for 10 years now in the Texas, specializing in hay and grazing pastures. We are also in the organic hay business and assist our customers in selling and marketing their hay to the general public. All of our products are liquid and can be applied by the customer or we can apply it for you. Let us know if you have any questions that we can help you with. We would be happy to call you if you would like. Let us know, thank you!