It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:47 am 

Well, bear in mind that these are fairly social critters and that they consider you their leader, so they will naturally want to hang around you. If you walk in the woods, they'll follow you around and eat sutff while in there. If you walk around your yard, they'll follow you there and eat your mums.

Goats will eat just about any growing thing (and a numebr of non growing ones if they are nice and chewy, read: clothing, etc.) and given the choice between a nice soft tuft of grass or a tough thorny weed, they'll opt for the grass. Yeah, they'll eat the weed if they are near them and hungry, but if they know where there's lighter faire, they'll go to that. Think about it- would you prefer beek jerky to a ribeye steak?

Outside of fencing I can't think of anything that would really repel a goat unless it's one of those fox urine wicks- presuming they have sufficient fear of predators. You MIGHT have some luck with some strong pepper tea.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject: Simple solution
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:16 pm 

Here is a simple solution that will not cost much, takes little time, and let you enjoy your pets, rather than wish that you never got them.

Take three cattle panels (you can get them at feed stores, farm supply places, etc.). These are 16 foot long, 5 1/2 feet tall and have squares about 5 inches by 7 inches. Get three of these and cut one in half (they make a special tool to do this with...they're like giant wire cutters, however they cost about $30 :cry: ) Take these now 4 pieces and make a rectangle. Wire them at the corners pretty well with any kind of wire (we use wire designed for electrical fencing...you can buy it in a 1/4 mile spool...needless to say, it lasts a LONG time!

If you don't want to buy some cattle panel cutters and can't borrow some (and don't have patience for a hacksaw), just use 4 cattle panels instead. It will be a little heavier, however.

Now you have either a rectangle or a square that you can put them in during the day, and move around pretty easily when they've finished eating! :) You're happy, the goats are happy, and the neighbors are happy!!

banot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:22 pm 

I have an idea similar to banot's post. I have goats and currently let them run wild in the pasture. However, if I want a specific area grazed down outside the pasture, I drive a steel pipe in the ground in the middle of the unwanted vegetation. I slide a large brass ring over the top of the pipe and tie the goat to the ring and the goat's collar. I only use about 8-10' of rope to avoid tangles. The goat circles around the pole at will and eats most everything in sight. Bring the goat in at night by slipping the ring up over the top of the pole. If you want another area cleaned out, move the pipe - or better yet, get another pipe and rotate.
Tony

Post subject: Goats
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 1:48 pm 

Guess that I am lucky. I have several goats that I got for weed eating. they chomp down on the stuff, keep the grass nice and cropped. But, when they see alfalfa, all else is forsaken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:32 pm 

You could plant two poles, run a cable between them, and connect the goats to the line.