It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Feeding DE to sheep.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:40 pm 

Does anyone already feed DE to their sheep. I have a neighbor that needs
to know how to feed it, and how much. For instance, do you mix it up with
other feed, or put it out for them to eat it free choice? Would they eat too much if it was free choice?

Post subject: DE sheep
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:03 am 

I have no idea what the right amount of DE per lb of animal but you can't hurt them unless you really over do it. We don't measure for our cows or horses. We use 1/2 cup to 5 gal bucket for cows mixed up in their feed. We use ground up alfalfa, DE, sugar beet pulp, molasses and kelp to the cows and horses in fields that don't have mineral feeders. We use free choice mineral feeders but we are never sure if everyone gets enough DE. We give 1 bucket to 4 cows.
Hope that give you some idea of what to use. I forgot to mention that our cows are miniature not big mutants. We have one mini that is 14 months old and not much bigger than your full grown sheep.
Robert D Bard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:27 pm 

Although it doesn't cover sheep, you might want to read the abstracts on feeding DE in the "Orgainic Research" section on this Web site, especially the free choice feeding to dairy cows. I think I would mix it with the feed, but that may not be practical during the grazing season. An alternative on the range might be to mix it with mineral supplements in the mineral feeders (if they even use those) or possibly salt if loose salt is offered (which it probably isn't; they probably use salt blocks). I wonder how palatable dry DE is to sheep, but it probably wouldn't be fly-away dry for long if there's any ambient humidity. These Web sites list some feeding DE suggestions for sheep and other animals, and they probably coincide with Robert's suggestion:

http://www.agriorganics.com/products/insect_stop.html
http://www.palmerfarm.com/faq.htm#de uses

I commend the hypothesis advanced in the Burke, E.M. abstract from Arizona State University on the rodent test study in the Organic Research section on this Web site. The surface area/enzyme binding idea is interesting. It leads me to wonder if admixing liquid supplements with DE before ingestion would increase their efficacy. I have reservations about orally ingested enzymes, but, to the extent they are effective, perhaps their efficacy could be improved this way also.

Post subject: Feeding DE
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:56 pm 

Howdy Ya'll! As Enzyme posted, you want to mix your DE in with Plain loose salt. Make sure that your salt doesn't contain any Copper. Remeber, sheep can't have any copper in their diet...'cause they die from it. As for the cattle and the rest of the livestock, this is also a great way to make sure they don't over consume it. We mix it in with our dry dog food. Does a great job with the worming and the reduction of fleas and ticks!

Hope that I have added some information that you can use. I have been in the Feed Store business for close to 17 yrs and have tried to be as organic as I can be. I love this website and the radio program!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:02 pm 

Where are you and what is the name of your feed store? We need to send some business your way if you are suggesting organic methods and products. People are always asking for help on this site, you can be a great resource. Let us know,
Tony M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:38 am 

Howdy Out There!
I am looking for a source for food grade diatomaceous earth. I am located 60 miles NW of Austin, in Burnet, Texas. All the on-line sources have very expensive shipping costs. Need 50# bags. Thank you!

Post subject: DE in feed
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:02 pm 

Howdy Ya'll! GoatLady, you can check with Burnett Feed, the one in the Blue Building. If they still order from Poston Feed Mill in Stephenville, TX, they can order you a 25# or 50# bag of Food grade DE. If they don't have it, try Brown's Feed in Lampassas. Mr. Brown has just about everything that you can think of in that Warehouse!

Tony, I used to work at Poston Feed Mill for about 5 yrs. I worked in the Mill Office and then on the road as a Wholesale Rep. I Loved that place! There is a GREAT Guy there name Ed Hulse and he can help you with just about anything that you can ask for.

I still keep my hand in the organic's with our Kennel and Ranch here in Seymour, Tx. I still get calls from old customers and help out as much as I can with their questions.

If ya'll have any questions that I might be able to answer, feel free to ask. I have a degree in Agri-Business and have been raised in a Ranching Family.

Hope I can be some help to Ya'll!