It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:32 pm 

Hey all, I'm a newbie not only here but also to the gardening world. I have a couple quick questions regarding (obviously) gardening. I recently received a gift of "container tomatoes" I believe they are going to be cherry tomatoes but I'm not really sure. I planted in all the good stuff and have sprayed with Garrett Juice and they (and all the other herbs) have really taken off! I don't know but do I need something for the tomatoes to grow against? Also I've been carefully eyeing all my plants every day since planting them. Haven't really seen many red spider mites (maybe 1 or 2). Today I went out and looked at my tomatoes and it has spider webs all over it. I don't see any red spider mites under the leaves or any where else on the plant (or on any of the other plants). Do you think this is something to be concerned about (the webs, not the lack of red spider mites)? I don't know if it's a good thing and a spider can kill some nasty bugs...or do red spider mites weave webs?

My other question is we are doing container pots since we started a little late in the season to till a veggie bed. I've combined the plants in combos that I read that they liked and did so in container pots about 3 weeks ago. Not that I'm complaining but with the added help of Garrett Juice they seem to be growing quite fast. I don't know if being in too small of a pot or cramped in a pot will hinder their growth/kill the plant. Should I separate or just leave things as the may be?

I'll attach a pic. Starting in the upper left we've got:
Pot 1: Anaheim Peppers
Pot 2: Basil, Oregano & Parsley
Pot 3: Parsley & Chives
Pot 4: Mint

Starting in the upper right we've got:
Pot 1: Tomatoes
Pot 2: Thyme
Pot 3: Sage & Rosemary
Pot 4: Strawberries

Thanks for your help in advance!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:57 am 

You do need a tomato cage for your tomato, which are very inexpensive. Make sure all of your plants are getting at least 6 hours of full sun and do not overwater. If you insert your finger in the soil and it feels real damp, wait another day to water. The mint will go crazy, no matter the size of the pot, and the cilantro will want to go to seed when the weather turns hot. If the plant does produce seed, let it dry on the plant then save them into a jar or baggy..that is corriander. Watch the underside of the leaves of your tomato plant for aphids or spider mites. You can spray the leaves with garrett juice and dust it with food grade DE after it dries. That should help.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:44 pm 

This is the original post: The photo is huge, and it forced the page formatting to run
the text way over to the right. This should be more readable (expecially for those of us
who are dylexic!):

Quote:
Hey all, I'm a newbie not only here but also to the gardening world. I have a couple
quick questions regarding (obviously) gardening. I recently received a gift of "container
tomatoes" I believe they are going to be cherry tomatoes but I'm not really sure.
I planted in all the good stuff and have sprayed with Garrett Juice and they (and all
the other herbs) have really taken off! I don't know but do I need something for the
tomatoes to grow against? Also I've been carefully eyeing all my plants every day
since planting them. Haven't really seen many red spider mites (maybe 1 or 2). Today
I went out and looked at my tomatoes and it has spider webs all over it. I don't see
any red spider mites under the leaves or any where else on the plant (or on any of
the other plants). Do you think this is something to be concerned about (the webs,
not the lack of red spider mites)? I don't know if it's a good thing and a spider can kill
some nasty bugs...or do red spider mites weave webs?

My other question is we are doing container pots since we started a little late in the
season to till a veggie bed. I've combined the plants in combos that I read that they
liked and did so in container pots about 3 weeks ago. Not that I'm complaining but
with the added help of Garrett Juice they seem to be growing quite fast. I don't know
if being in too small of a pot or cramped in a pot will hinder their growth/kill the plant.
Should I separate or just leave things as the may be?

I'll attach a pic. Starting in the upper left we've got:
Pot 1: Anaheim Peppers
Pot 2: Basil, Oregano & Parsley
Pot 3: Parsley & Chives
Pot 4: Mint

Starting in the upper right we've got:
Pot 1: Tomatoes
Pot 2: Thyme
Pot 3: Sage & Rosemary
Pot 4: Strawberries

Thanks for your help in advance!

If the original author comes back, you might think about deleting this photo and reposting it much smaller.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:49 pm 

My answer on the tomatoes, if you have the webs you have the pests, even if you aren't
seeing them at the moment. There are a number of ways to treat these pests; whatever
you choose, as the season gets warm, be careful to do your spraying in the cooler time of
the say or the moisture you leave on leaves can actually burn them in the sunshine.