It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:46 am 

I live north of McKinney and am wondering if anyone has suggestions for where to buy tomato transplants as early as possible. I'm not good at starting seeds and it in the past I've never been able to find transplants as early as I'd like to set them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:24 am 

Just be sure you do not plant them outside until the last frost has occurred.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:25 am 

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/advance_busin ... t=mckinney

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:50 am 

There is a nursery and feed store in Van Alstyne, a Feed store in Anna, Celeste, And Bruce Miller in Prosper. I doubt you will find anything before March 1, just ask. When my shop was open I always tried to get some tomatoes in for the folks that wanted them early. Putting them in pots that can be moved in and out until they can be planted is a good idea. Remember they like warm soil temps so if you do plant them early, do not mulch around them until late april. This allows the sun to warm the soil around them. You might check out a great little nursery in Allen, Pucketts on east main. It is one of my favorites!

Post subject: Early Tomato Planting
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:06 am 

Last year I planted my tomatoes in February inside Kozy Koats, a red version of the Wall Of Water product. The sun heats up the water and the teepee shape keeps in your heat. They say they can keep tomatoes warm down to low temps and allows 4-6 weeks earlier planting.

Q: What kinds of protective coverings can I use?
A: Some gardeners make tunnels out of plastic or put plastic "hats" over their tomatoes. They will add extra warmth during the day and keep some frost away from the tomatoes. But the best covering is what we call a KOZY-COAT which has plastic tubes you fill with water. Unlike mere plastic coverings, the water (three gallons of it!) HOLDS HEAT and slowly transfers it to the plant even when outside temperatures plummet well below zero. It also allows for much earlier planting, because the KOZY-COAT will heat up cold soil so you can plant your seedlings 4 to 6 weeks earlier! It is the fail-safe method to produce your earliest tomatoes and something every serious tomato grower should use. KOZY-COATS plus Glacier tomato seedlings adds about six weeks to your tomato-picking season.

URL: http://www.mrtomato.com/faq.html