It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:31 pm 

I still have close to a hundred tomatoes on the vine. It looks like temps in my neighborhood will be in the 38 degree F range in the day or two surrounding Thanksgiving. Should I pull the toms off or leave it to chance? They are in a semi-protected area.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:09 pm 

if you expect a light freeze, throw an old sheet over them at night. in the Dallas area, ground temps are still quite warm....water the day before, protect at night....good to go...

with a little luck, you might get another 3-4 weeks of growing weather, if they get good sun and protection from the wind.

when hard freezes come, pull the green tomatoes and let ripen on a counter. the small immature green toms make good pickling tomatoes to throw in with other veggies like (okra, beans, cukes, etc)

(thanksgiving is where i usually glean my tomatoes to take up to my Dad, since i don't have the counterspace, or the time to pickle...those little pea-sized cherry tomatoes i give him at thanksgiving usually show up in a mason jar with other pickled veggies at christmas-yum!)