It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Pumpkins
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:41 pm 

I'm thinking about planting some pumpkin seeds in the next couple of weeks and seeking any advice. Seems as though the window for planting (Central Texas) is from June through July for fall pumpkins(?).

Have never tried to grow them and would greatly appreciate any suggestions, feedback, etc.

As always -thank you! - Susan

Post subject: pumpkins
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:55 pm 

This is my first year to grow pumpkins, I'm happy with my first pumpkin!
It's getting huge...each day I look out at my garden, its bigger.

My two pumpkin vines are growing in 8" raised bed of all compost. I've been feeding vines the garden ville 7-2-2 soil food, fish emulsion, liquid seaweed; they are monster vines.

My two pumpkin vine seeds came from last Holloween pumpkins that sat on the front porch and rotted...I kicked the pumpkin into the front flower bed where it finished rotting & spent the winter there. Early April I had a bunch of pumpkin seedlings in the flower bed. So I picked the best looking seedlings & transplanted to backyard, now the are huge!!! :D

I don't know about the timing, as fare as when to plant for holloween pumpkins. It can't hurt to plant some pumpkins now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:06 pm 

Lee thank you so much for the encouragement! I can hardly type as today was garden day and my fingers are sore. Preparing the bed for planting the seeds tomorrow and truly appreciate your input. As I understand from a little research these plants need alot of room to grow, so I'm trying to be optimistically prepared. It will be such fun to have pumpkins for the fall. I find it such fun to try new things and see how they grow...thanks again for sharing your gardening experience. -Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:44 am 

As it turns out, I am also growing a pumpkin plant. I didn't know it until this weekend. I have this bad habit of using unfinished compost, and as a result I get a lot of volunteer plants. The fruit on this one (thought it was a squash) kept falling off, but one, on the ground has stuck, and there is no mistake... this is a pumpkin. Little doubt it's the halloween pumkins I threw in the pile last fall.

Couple of notes:

1. I like to let vining plants go vertical, so when I saw this one had tendrils I built a structure for it. Apparently it doesn't work for pumpkins. They fall off before they're ready when they get too heavy. Someone may prove me wrong, but I haven't seen one stick that's not on the ground. I've grown cantaloupes vertically with no problems, but this apparently is too much. I imagine a watermelon wouldn't work this way either.

2. I have squash bugs up the wazoo. These are vile little creatures.

3. Make sure you have lots of room. This thing is gigantic, and it's taken over everything in its immediate area. Were it not for the fact that I have two sizable pumpkins in development, I would yank it. However, I've decided to sacrifice my wife's flower garden to let this one go.

4. The other day, I planted Jack-be-littles, or something like that. I'm hoping they're not quite so overwhelming, but I'll have more on that in a few months I suppose. These are supposedly the smallest pumpkins and are the perfect size for my little ones.

Thanks,
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:19 pm 

Chris, I really appreciate your helfpul tips. With your insight and Lee's I'm now more eager to see how they turn out. I understand the plants are huge, and fortunately have a good spot for them. It was just one of those things I wanted to see if I could grow and I planted seeds for making Jack O' Lanterns....12-16" diameters. Have had great success with Gardenville 7-2-2 on other things as well, so appreciate this bit of info.

Aren't those garden surprises just great! Have a cantaloupe plant squeezing in and producing along with the black-eye peas that was apparently from a seed of last summer. It makes me smile.

Hoping I don't get squash bugs up the wazoo :shock: That sounds awful.

Thanks- Susan

Post subject: kind of pumpkin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:12 pm 

Does anybody know what kind of pumpkins are sold @ grocery stores, wal-mart, ect...the standard pumpkin used for halloween. Or does this
vary widely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:36 am 

Lee, I have no idea what "exact" variety they sell at various stores for Halloween. I did notice in seeking out seeds that some seed catalogs go to great lengths to describe the difference and some don't. Also, on the seed stands they many times don't give the exact variety. I found a good description of the varieties in Ed Smith's book "The Vegetable Gardener's Bible" and it looks like the Howden Variety bears the 10 to 20 pound fruit...good for jack o'lanterns. The Atlantic Giant has been known to have grown to the size of 1000 pounds :shock: and he mentions The Great Pumpkin can grow fruit over 100 pounds.

After planting my seeds we had 9 inches of rain, so as soon as the soil is drier I'm replanting.

One of the things Ed Smith notes that sounds like great fun --while the pumpkins are still small and the skins are soft, scratch a child's name on one. The name will stay and grow along with the pumpkin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:42 am 

How large of an area should you use for, say, two vines?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:17 pm 

I can only respond to what I have read about the subject --and that is they are huge plants...each one taking up to 8 feet in space. Again, this is not first hand knowledge. I did a google search and found a really neat site about them though and thought it might be of interest to everyone that has responded to this thread:

http://www.pumpkincircle.com/growing.html

Post subject: Having trouble with mine
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:25 pm 

Hi all,
This is my second year trying to grow pumpkins without much luck. Similar situation both years, but I tried harder (better soil) this year. In looking at some pictures on the internet, I think I have verticllium wilt. The plant basically grew fine for the first several weeks, but now the largest, oldest leaves are basically turning yellow and drying /shrinking up. There's no obvious signs of insect damage. Once the leaf starts to turn yellow, progression is rapid.
I have cucumber and tomatoes, but both a V-resistant and are not having any problem. So.. Is there such a thing as V-wilt resistant pumpkin, or is there anyway to control the virus that's in the ground.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:33 pm 

DRL, have you tried cornmeal in the soil prior to planting? I have had very good success with that for other types of vegetables and flowers. -Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:22 pm 

Well everything in Texas is not bigger! :shock:
this pic was taken the 26th of june, the plant has grown five feet since then Actually, this is a giant pumpkin variety,(sorry bout the Texas remark) just kiddin :D Would be interested in sending some champion seeds to someone in Texas to see how they would perform!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:18 pm 

I will try some of the seeds here in Texas and let you know how they do. I have lots of room, 1.25 acres, for them to grow. PM me and I will give you my address. My mother grew some 1 - 2 lbs tomatoes this year. I planted the seeds, just after Christmas, and kept 6 plants and gave her 6 plants. It just goes to show how much difference good organic soil makes. My tomatoes are just average size. We are constantly adding grass clippings to her garden. Sometimes up to 6 inches deep. I am going to keep some of the seeds and try to grow those big ones next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:26 pm 

Wow! Thanks PhLaura for sharing the picture. I think it was Ed Smith that calls them the Gorilla in the garden :) Please report back as to how big the pumpkins get. I'm still behind in the **third** try at planting. The rain has been a bit of a challenge this year, but I'm very stubborn.

Thanks again for the picture! - Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:03 am 

Thanks Ya'll For the remarks, and You Bet I will keep Ya posted. Susan, are you trying to start them outside? It's been rainy and cold enough in the morning to see your breath here in Minnesota, suppose to warm tho now, but has been running 20 degrees below the norm.
Here is the link to my 2004 Pumpkin Diary:

http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/DiaryView.asp?season=2004&grower=24970&action=L
Enjoy all the photo's and SEE how they are grown up north here, this link is within a REAL good Pumpkin site, enjoy and be sure to ask any questions you have,I will try to "tailor" my answers to a climate ...Very unlike Our's! 8)