It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Tomatoes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:12 pm 

When the flower aborts from tomatoes it could be for several reasons. How much sun and water do they get? What is it planted in? What is the variety of the tomato and in general, how does it look (healthy, yellowing etc)?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:50 pm 

I too have several new tomato plants that have grown up well, but just do not seem to want to set the tomatoes. I have literally hundreds of bloombs, but very few actual tomatoes.
Theres tomatoes are in my garden, get all day sun until about 4PM then are in the shade of the trees, and they are in in cages.
I've pruned the dead limbs on the older tomatoes, but they will not set either.
HELP!!!
RB in Waco

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:56 am 

Are you over-fertilizing, by chance? If you are fertilizing before fruit sets, lush foliage will be produced, but not fruit. Wait until after fruit sets, then give light fertilization.

Also...all of our gray and rainy days might be causing flowers to fall off--tomatoes need that sun to set fruit (i've been seeing this).

We are supposed to get some sun in the next few days, perfect tomato setting temperatures, and light winds to increase pollination. If your plants aren't under stress, or fertilized into foliar bliss (but fruit failure), I bet you will see some new fruit by late next
week. Let's hope for a late frost!

After you see fruit, make sure you have protected them from blossom end rot--all this rain (or over-watering)can wash those nutrients away.

Good luck! I'm sure others wil chime in too.

Post subject: Re: Tomatoes -sandih
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:54 pm 

If I can I'll attach a photo of the tomatoes and the garden they are planted.
During the dought I was watering about every thrid day, but since it's cooled down lately, and more rain, I've gone to once a week or less when it rains.
This garden is in well prepared soil, and is in the second crop of the season.
I just pulled the plants after the first hard freeze and probably picked about 80 tomatoes - some ripe and others that will ripen in the kitchen window.

I've attached two pictures [it says the file is to large to transfer, so get a bigger server to load pictures so you can view my attached photos.]