It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rasberries
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:28 pm 

I recently purchase a rasberry bush. Because I did not see any information on the search topic, what are the chances of producing these delicious berries that are nutritionally so good for us?

I llive in Waco, and plan to place the (2) bushes in the sun on our 2 acre land. I have not had much luck with anything that I have planted the past year. Mostly perennials.

Thank you for your anticipated suggestions.

As I have mentioned in an earlier post, I have a desert willow that is doing well and had a few flowers last spring/summer. I wish to plant more this spring. Or is fall better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:58 pm 

According to what I've read, our climate is not really prime for growing raspberries, but it is great for blackberries, if you like them. I think raspberries require cooler temps, but I'm not 100% sure on this. Spring, especially early, is good for planting about anything in this part of the country, and Fall is great for planting trees and perennials. Alo of my success has hinged on selecting suitable species for the climate and soil type. I think you would benefit from reading Texas Gardener magazine or one of HG's books when it comes to gardening. Believe me, I tried for years to have gardens that looked like the ones you see in the northern areas of the country, but it just doesn't work, imo. I spent lots of $$ on stuff that died or barely hung on for one season until I understood the limitations I was dealing with. But then, on the other hand, we can grow stuff down here that is Texas tough and has it's own kind of beauty.