It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:10 am 

I found this site searching for help with my vegetable garden. After my first season, I find that I seem to have an infestation of root-knot nematodes. The garden is 40' x 80' and it seems to affect just some areas. I raised my beds and kept hay and stall cleanings in the furrows to hold moisture and keep weeds down. I've pulled everything and turned it all under and will keep it busted up during the winter. I'm considering turning the chickens into it to help keep things clean. My theory in doing this would be to starve the nematodes out. Am I doing right or is there a much easier solution. Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Welcome with a Note:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:09 pm 

RedRider,

:D Glad you found the site and welcome aboard.
Please enjoy yourself while visiting.

I have moved your inquiry and post to a forum where I feel you'll get more help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:44 pm 

A problem I share. I use my okra every year as a show & tell when I pull it up. Short of a small thermonuclear detonation (organic, of course!) what I have learned is to starve the little suckers and fry them. I plant resistant varieties and solarize. I am by no means an expert on the subject but I regret to say once you have them you'll never be able to get completely rid of them. Large amounts of organic material is supposed to help. French marigolds are supposed to provide some control. I'm going to try beneficial nematodes at some point. Okay, I answered your question. Now, how do I get rid of yellow nutsedge and florida betony?

Dirt