It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Split Peach Tree Trunk
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:37 am 

One of my peaches, in its fourth season, was apparently loaded with more fruit than it could bear and should have been culled. However, I was out of the country. It split at the crotch (only about a foot off the ground) all the way to the ground. Should I just go ahead and cut it down and plant a new one next year or is there a chance that it will survive and thrive?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:24 am 

Please post photos of the tree! That always helps with a diagnosis. You said in it's fourth season - is that since you planted it, and did you plant it?

How long ago did this happen? What have you done so far, and how do you care for the yard/garden?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:18 pm 

I bought the sapling from a nursery and planted it in Spring 2009.

This happened sometime in late May or early June. I was home for only a couple of weeks before I had to return to Azerbaijan, so I did not get to do anything with it other than prune off the broken limbs, so it still is as you see it in the picture.

The yard/garden have been on a completely organic program since 2005.

Thanks, Lelon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:22 pm 

Trying again to upload the photo. Not sure why it failed last time.

I bought the sapling from a nursery and planted it in Spring 2009.

This happened sometime in late May or early June. I was home for only a couple of weeks before I had to return to Azerbaijan, so I did not get to do anything with it other than prune off the broken limbs, so it still is as you see it in the picture.

The yard/garden have been on a completely organic program since 2005.

Thanks, Lelon

Attachments:
split trunk.jpg
split trunk.jpg [ 175.29 KiB | Viewed 5262 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:56 pm 

Good photo - thanks!

I had a redbud about that size that had a lot of damage to the trunk right at the root area after it got clobbered by high winds in a storm. Not a split like that, but it looked like a fatal blow. I called the radio program and Howard described the sick tree program and I tried it. I was amazed at how well the tree came back. On this one you would definitely add "tree trunk goop" (look these things up in the LIBRARY.)

With the organic approach, even if it doesn't save the tree the spot is in great shape for the next tree you plant. You might want to go ahead and call the radio program on Sunday. Howard may have a solution that involves handling the broken halves of the tree along with all of the stuff mentioned above. One small peach tree might not be worth the cost of a tree service, but the phone call to the program is free and perhaps the Dirt Doctor can give you some tips to work with.