It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tomatoe Trauma
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:16 pm 

I was late with my tomatoes this year- planting in late may, though they were fairly large transplants. I hurriedly fortified the soil with blood meal and bone meal before planting and surrounded the plants by compost and composting leaves to act as a mulch. Everything was ok for a while, the plants grew literally like weeds, but now i have some problems. For one, my plants, especially a high yielding one are beginning to yellow, and some leaves are beginning to speckle. Is there any organic products that will help? I try to use Garrett Juice about once a week.
Also, because of deer, rabbits, and birds that like to eat my plants, i surrounded my small plot (4' x 4' for 3 plants) with chicken wire and topped it with netting. A result of my quick planning, my plants are outgrowing the area and also the very little bit of staking I have been able to do. I found out the plants are vining, so I desperately need some help with staking and protecting my tomatoes.
Please, any suggestions are welcome and needed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:43 am 

Some of my tomato plants are over 7ft tall. We start them out in regualr tomato cages and as they out grow it, my husband builds a wooden "scaffolding" around it with horizontal crossbars for support about every foot or so. It works out very well. If you want further info, let me know and I can send you a picture of what I'm talking about.

As far as your other problem, assuming that they are getting the appropriate amount of water, and your watering at the base of the plant, you might try mixing potassium bicarbonate and Garrett Juice together and spraying it on every 7-10 days. It sounds like you might have a bit of blight.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:26 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried a similar staking technique to the one that you described, and it seems to be working well. My tomatoes are stilll languishing, though. Theyare producing well while the leaves are continuing to yellow and die, and the plant itself looks spotted with yellow. I have tried the baking soda treatment without much luck. Anymore suggestions or ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:52 pm 

I suspect some of the damage is from the heat. It's really hard on tomatoes this time of year. You can prune your plants back and give them some shade with window screening, keep treating weekly for blight (if that's what the problem is), and they will probably survive until Fall. Also, try to get some new transplants and plant them now for a Fall crop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:55 am 

I was wondering about the heat because I heard somewhere that the tomatoes can get sunburn, so I will try adding some shade.
Also, how often should I water to compensate for the heat. I had read that twice should be max, even in the heat, so that is what I have been sticking to. Is that what you would suggest as well? I have the bed mulched, so that helps. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:01 pm 

Tomatoes do not like it when they get to much water. If they are mulched properly you should not have to water but once a week. The best way to tell if they need water is to check the soil. If the soil is dry water if it is still moist do not water. I made that mistake early and almost killed my plants. If you water to much the tomatoes will split or they could get blossom end rot, I think that is what it is called. You will know if you have it because the end of the tomato will be black. I hope that helps some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:27 pm 

yes that does help, thanks. some specific guidelines were just what i needed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:01 pm 

This sad state of tomato plants seems to happen to my plants this time of year. I tentatively identified the problem as "late blight" and the remedy for this was horticultural cornmeal. I applied it - looks like I will need to re-apply it, as the last thunderstorm washed it away. I don't know yet if it is going to be effective. The tops are growing away and putting out flowers, but no fruit - I think it is just too hot for anything to grow...
Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:32 pm 

So the cornmeal is for the blight? How is it supposed to help? Do you just sprinkle it around the base? Sorry for all the questions, but i am a bit inept when it comes to these things sometimes. :D thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:26 am 

According to Howard's Organic vegetable gardening book, you should spray the leaves of your tomato plant with potassium bicarbonate and Garrett Juice for blight. I believe cornmeal is more for fungal diseases.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:30 am 

What exactly are the symptoms of blight? I read about it in a book, and it didn't give me a very clear picture.