It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Why not peat moss?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:20 pm 

Why aren't we supposed to uuse peat moss in a raised vegetable bed? Also What to do if you already had it in there. First year and having worse than poor luck with the veggies. Can I blame it on the peat or the heat? Or should I point the finger in my own direction?

Post subject: Re: Why not peat moss?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:52 pm 

Well that depends on a lot of factors; what you planted, how often you watered, what else was in the bed where you planted your veggies. For Howard's info on peat, just click on Library at the left side of this page, then click on "P" and scroll down to several peat moss entries. If you want to provide add'l info I will try to help.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:46 pm 

I read the peat moss entries thankyou for that. In my bed I mixed 1 bag of peat and about a truck load of compost/sand mix. I planted corn, green beans, peas, carrots, lettuce, spinach and basil. All I started from seed, but didn't do much after I planted them until they got eaten by (I suspect a bunny). Still have some Basil remaining. I water three times a week, but I am in N. Fort Worth. I suspect that I needed to water more or that the plants were to young (or not well enough established (I started them in pots)) once the heat hit. I know they say full sun for the veggies and herbs but do they take into account N.TX. full sun? I considered adding a removable shade structure like screen, but I don't know if that my be a stab in the dark. I have used dried molasses, corn meal, and plant wash to encourage them health. I am new to this and am not sure whatdirection to go. Should I just try to start a fall crop??
I really wanted to do this because I love fresh veggies and I wanted my son to learn a bit (other than how to kill all of the plants). I know it's alot of info and I just hope I am not helpless here. Oh by the way the bed is about 8' X 6'.

Thanks for you input!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:36 am 

When did you plant carrot, lettuce, peas and spinach? Those can all get zapped pretty fast by the heat. I have had more success with planting those in October and enjoying a winter crop. Except for carrots..those I have had no luck with whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:30 pm 

I guess I planted them in June, started them in May. Good idea about a fall crop. Should they be a certain size before I plant them or just start them from seed in the bed?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:12 pm 

Those crops were too late for TX heat...I would just start from seed after looking at the weathe rand seeing if we are going to have a cool down end of Sept. or first part of Oct.. If you continue harvesting and don't let it bolt, you should have a lovely salad all winter long. Spinach, grapefruit sections and toasted pecans make an excellent TX winter salad. :D