It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hollyhocks
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:16 pm 

Are hollyhocks suitable for the DFW area? If so, is planting from seed practical? Will they return each year? Do some varieties handle our summer heat better than others? Any help anyone has will be appreciated! My grandmother grew these in the Texas Panhandle and I'd like to try them if they will do reasonably well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:38 am 

Hi!!!
Well, I can't offer much info on growing hollyhocks back in Texas. I know I never had much luck growing them in the Kaufman/Terrell area. But out here in New Mexico, they're practically a weed!!! They go to seed and come up all over the place, and even thrive in the cracks of sidewalks. I really can't figure out why they seemed harder to grow back home, and the only difference I can figure out is that it's cooler here, with much lower humidity. Maybe it was the lower humdity and colder winter temps up in the Panhandle that enabled your Grandmother to grow them. Oh, and maybe they like more alkaline dirt??? Anyway, good luck. They sure are nice to have around, and are totally care-free.
Suzy

Post subject: Yes they grow fine
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:57 am 

They grow great here and from my experience they do come back - but I think it's from reseeding. You can get a huge varity of seeds from ebay.

Ground Crew Member #8217

Post subject: hollyhocks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:08 pm 

I have a zillion seeds for wild or native or species hollyhocks I'd be happy to send you some for 49 cents postage! They are pinky-purple, about 1/2 the size of four o'clocks, & they bloom all summer. The plants are 4' to 5' tall. They re-seed like maniacs.
Let me know if you'd like some.

Sylvia