It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:54 am 

I'm in my third season of organics in Grapevine, TX. My property is mostly shaded with Post Oak. I have a small woodland garden that I planted some various columbine in last fall.
The columbine was beginning to bloom this spring (May 1) when I applied Natures Guide alfafa-based fertilizer to the entire property. I don't think the Columbine liked the fertilizer. The leaves shriveled & yellowed almost immediately, maybe from direct contact with the fertilizer.
The plants have recovered nicely are lush and healthy-looking. But, no more blooms. Should they be blooming now? Should I do anything besides wait?
Less than spectacular blooms seems to be a recurring theme for me. I've dilligently ammended the soil since moving in 3 years ago. I have used foliar feeds most of time, rotating Garrett Juice, fish emulsion, homebrew compost tea, molasses, etc. and granular fertilizer 3 or 4 times per year.
Thanks for any advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:52 am 

Columbine will look that way once the real heat sets in (like now in late June) but early May they look great. It must have been the fertilizer, like you mentioned. I rarely fertilze mine and they look good and are still blooming.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan