It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Pretoria Canna Help
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:30 am 

Hello. I'm new here and new to plants. :) I have 2 Pretoria Canna's with the orange flowers. They bloomed once this year and since then, everytime the new leave would spread out, they would start browning at the edges until the entire leaf was dead. We haven't had any blooms since then. Do these plants have a blooming process? Are they sick? Coming up on winter, do I need to trim them? I guess I'm looking on any resources for care and maintenance on these plants. They are so beautiful, I don't want them to die. Thank you for any help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:25 pm 

Hi CS,

Welcome to the forums! Cannas are rhizomes and are hardy in zones 9 - 11. Unfortunately you don't say where you live or your hardiness zone and your profile is bland as well. Here's a zip code zone finder. You might want to add your state and zone to your profile.

http://www.arborday.org/trees/whatzone.html

Your cannas will bloom once and then start to die back in the fall. Here's a site that will give you info on it.

http://www.bulb.com/summerguide98/canna.asp

If it's not hardy in your zone, let me know and I can refer you to a site that will explain how to dig them up and store them over the winter.

Newt