It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Verbena Peruviana
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:29 pm 

Does anyone have experience with this plant in the Dallas area? I am thinking of planting it around stepping stones. I hear it only grows to 1" tall and will bloom until frost... which sounds too good to be true! When it dies out in the winter, it might look bad though around the stepping stones, unless the leaves stay green?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:34 am 

I have Blue Princess Verbena growing along my front walk. It is growing in much improved clay based soil (lots of compost, some lavasand, greensand and is mulched well with cedar. It receives around six hours of sun a day and is watered only every five to nine days, I don’t water until the plants need it. These plants went from four inch pots two years ago to a plant that is now about four to six feet in diameter. All you need to do is cut it back to about one third in the late fall (before we have a freeze), mulch it lightly and it should come back without any problem. In the case where it gets to as large as mine is, cut the stems back to about a foot long when pruning.

Make sure the variety you are buying is a perennial; the annual versions do not do very well and will not come back year after year. The one you mentioned from what I could find posted on the web states it is a tender perennial, which is another way to say it may die in a really cold winter. Why don't you check out Blue Princess, it is one of the most recommended plants for Texas and its success in my garden has made it a proven winner in my book! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:44 pm 

Scott, thanks so much for the info and for even doing some research for me! :) I looked into the Blue Princess, and it's a very beautiful flower. I will definitely be planting it at some point. :)

I still love the peruviana in that it's so low to the ground and has the moss like leaves. Has anyone in the Dallas area had it last through the winter?