It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wild strawberries
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:54 am 

Some birds thoughtfully left some wild strawberry seeds in my asian jasmine. The jasmine is gradually choking it out. Is there anything I can easily do that would speed up the process? I just keep it trimmed back from the sidewalk now. I have in the past used the weedeater to trim off the tops of the strawberries but now the asian jasmine is growing in there also and I would be lopping off the tops of that also if I tried to do it to the strawberries.

Live in Plano and only water when it gets really dry -- about once a month so far this year.

THANKS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:34 pm 

I just removed massive amounts of it from my flower beds because one of the previous homeowners planted it there intentionally. Two days of weeding has removed the vast majority of it. I dug down and removed the roots. As new growth shoots up, I dig out the root that produced it, and that has kept mine in check. Almost completely gone. It has been one of the easiest weeds in my yard to get rid of.

Post subject: wild strawberries
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:09 pm 

I happened to have seen a home improvement show last week that delt with this very problem. You may not like it, but they said the only way to rid your lawn or beds is to dig it all up and start over. They are very invasive and appear to be as tough as nut grass. Hope this helps.