It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:36 pm 

I know it's getting late for CGM but has anyone seen a posting on the best time/conditions? Is it good to put it down before a rain storm or should you wait until afterwards?

How does the CGM actually work? Does it have anything to do with the granuals? If so, wouldn't the rain break them down? Should you water the CGM in after applying?

Again, is there a good document on the subject anyplace?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:38 pm 

Right now is the time for putting down CGM. If you wait much longer then you'll miss the window of opportunity for stopping the germination of seeds. If you have a choice get the powdered variety rather than the granulated stuff as it's more readily broken down. After a rain would be a great time to do it but do make sure winds are slight or you'll watch it blow off onto your neighbor's lawn.

Do a search on dirtdoctor.com for "corn gluten meal" and you'll find more specifics about it's use and the like.

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:25 am 

I applied 1300 lbs. of CGM on Monday to try and take advantage of letting the rain water it in. H.G.'s recomendations on CGM indicate you need a dry spell after watering it in for best results. The forcast is calling for more rain this weekend. Should I re-apply CGM to my more critical turf areas when I am sure of a dry spell? I am not quite 1/2 way finished with the first application and should finish up on Friday (weather, wind and labor permiting). It is important that I get good results, as it took quite a bit to convince my company to go organic. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:50 pm 

Since you have to water it in after you put it down, I always try to do it before a rain forecast. You can't go wrong.

How long can it still rain after you put it down? I don't think there are any hard and fast rules that I have ever seen. Warm dry weather after the rain always seems to help me. But, not everyone has the time to time it so! So, just do it now.

And please remember: the CGM you put down now is not going to control spring/early summer weeds -- they have long ago germinated. You are now controlling late summer/fall weeds.

Late winter/spring weeds are controlled by your CGM appilcation in mid-late Sept. Good luck! :wink:

PS: Unless you are rolling in dough, and have prepared them for the timing issues in my previous 2 paragraphs, I would not re-apply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:23 am 

Thanks Bill; Yes, I have let them know about the timing issues. I have also made it clear that the best results will be seen over the next couple of years, that this is not an instant fix to our yard problems. I did get all the CGM down before the rains so we did not have to pay to water it in :D Very glad we had enough rain to properly water it in. I'm guessing 3000 lbs of CGM could get a bit smelly if it was not watered in properly.