It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For decades, farmers, lawn care workers and professional green thumbs have relied on the popular weed killer atrazine to protect their crops, golf courses and manicured lawns.

But atrazine often washes into water supplies and has become among the most common contaminants in American reservoirs and other sources of drinking water.

Now, new research suggests that atrazine may be dangerous at lower concentrations than previously thought. Recent studies suggest that, even at concentrations meeting current federal standards, the chemical may be associated with birth defects, low birth weights and menstrual problems.

Laboratory experiments suggest that when animals are exposed to brief doses of atrazine before birth, they may become more vulnerable to cancer later.

An investigation by The New York Times has found that in some towns, atrazine concentrations in drinking water have spiked, sometimes for longer than a month. But the reports produced by local water systems for residents often fail to reflect those higher concentrations.

Read the Full Article
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/23/us/23water.html?_r=2

OCA
By Charles Duhigg
The New York Times, Aug 22, 2009

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:01 pm 

I don't understand why there's a debate??!! My vote is for NO weed killer in my glass! Yuck!