It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Virtually no Water!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:02 am 

HELP! I live in Tampa and our city Fathers have imposed a severe watering ban on lawn watering. We previously had a one day watering ban where you could use your watering system one day a week but now they cut it down to hand watering one day a week even if you have a well. Yes, we are going through a cycle of very little rainfall which always changes within a few years. There was an article in the paper approximately nine months ago stating that our city water system had so many cracks and problems that it was wasting water equivalent to a city of one hundred thousand population.

My question is what can I do to help my lawn and plants survive beyond the obvious watering as much as possible when we can. I have been on an organic program for less than two years and in some places the lawn is great and in others, pretty sad. We had several days of frost this past winter which didn’t help matters either. I have put out corn gluten and lots of alfalfa meal this spring. Every month I try to spray with a combination of Seaweed and fish oil.

I have heard that putting down greensand helps to hold water and I am willing to try and do anything to help out the lawn. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I suppose the next thing will be in conserving water will be that they will ask us to shower with a friend!

Post subject: Re: Virtually no Water!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:46 pm 

Compost is the best thing you can use to hold the water in. The application rate is 1 cubic yard per 1,000 square feet.

If you can water once a week, that should be plenty...oops! Tampa...does that mean sandy soil? Also I have to assume you have St Augustine grass. Deep infrequent watering is the rule to develop deep, drought resistant roots. Doing that by hand requires a lot of standing around.

Also it will help enormously if you mow your grass at the mower's highest setting. Tall grass shades the soil so you have cooler soil and less evaporation.

Does this seem helpful?