It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Skunk vine
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:41 pm 

My organic experience has only been for approximately one year. In one part of my St. Augustine lawn, I am plagued with what they call -Skunk vine. When you cut or pull this vine out of the yard, you find out why the name is skunk vine. I would like your experts to help me out if they have had any experience with this problem. I am hoping that possibly, in the next year, when my lawn becomes more organic, this vine will disappear.
Monthly I put on seaweed & iron. For fertilizer, I have been using alfalfa pellets. Recently, a light cover of compost has been added.

I cannot believe the difference that organic care of the lawn has made. Sometimes it has been painfully slow, but only in a couple of places do I have any weeds. I previouly had S___'s apply their highly potent stuff on my lawn and it was quickly ruined.

If anyone can help with the Skunk vine, I would appreciate it. I tried using Brush-b-gone but that also klled the grass. Thanks for helping out all of us that are just starting out in our Organic adventure.

By the way, my home is in Tampa and apparently that is as far south as this vine has come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:19 am 

I don't like to link to other websites but there is way too much information at this other site. Read this article.

You might try dusting the vine with baking soda. First put the baking soda into a sock. Then moisten the leaves with soapy water. Finally bang the sock into your hand so a fine powder of baking soda drops out onto the moist leaves. If nothing happens in four days, then baking soda will not work. Can you get goats?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:49 am 

NO GOATS NEEDED!!! Tried your baking soda formula with a light spraying of Murphy's Oil Soap first and within one day, there was a noticeable area of dead skunk vine. It was apparent that it had not harmed the St. Augustine grass much. The older vine dies first and then the newer vine takes about four to five days to die. I tried a small area first, about two weeks ago, and now the grass is filling in this area. I always try something new with a small patch to make certain that it will not harm the lawn itself. This second time the same results occured, dead old vine first then the younger vine last.
I also tried the baking soda and soap formula on other areas that had weeds with a leaf and all these areas died within one day.

I cannot tell you how pleased I am with the result as I have been plagued with the skunk vine for many years and each time I cut the lawn in this area I have been reminded of why they call it - skunk vine.