It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:16 pm 

My lawn is infested with what I have identified to be Henbit weeds. Clumpy plants with stalks that grow up & out from the center with round, scalloped edge leaves, with purple flowers.

Anyway, it is not really practical for me to pull all of these by hand. The lawn (Bermuda) appears to still be dormant as of last night when I mowed the weeds.

I was going to aerate & apply CGM, molasses & lava sand, but I don't want to feed the weeds. Will a vinegar spray over the entire area damage the lawn? Is there an alternative?

Thanks,
Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:49 am 

I forgot to mention that I applied compost over the whole yard last summer. Also, this was a new home & we have lived here since December 2005. I began using organics Spring 2006, but apparently my CGM application last year was timed wrong for the winter weeds. Last year, I applied dry molasses & Texas greensand along with CGM. I know the soil is compacted since it is heavy clay. Combine that with the construction equipment when building the home, and some areas are really packed tight.

Basically, I should just keep mowing & let these weeds die off as the weather warms? Should I also go ahead with my amendments now or just CGM & wait for the others?

Thanks,
Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:35 am 

Vinegar on dormant bermuda would have worked great. Sorry for the late reply as your bermuda is probably going great guns by now.

Henbit is an embarassment to other plants. It has such a weak root structure it's amazing it grows at all. You can almost blow it out of your yard with a leaf blower. If you can't get down to pull it, hire a kid to do it for you. It goes very fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:19 pm 

Yes, the Bermuda is coming along nicely now. Still a small amount of henbit, but it is browning as the weather warms.

I also learned by observation that the henbit is easily plucked. My neighbor just yanked off the tops of his henbit & it hasn't come back yet. I just mowed mine down & while it is definitely declining, it is still there.

Kevin