It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:41 pm 

I just applied corn gluten meal to my lawn to reduce seed germination for the forthcoming warm-season weeds. This is usually about the right time for Central Texas, but this year it would have been better a few weeks ago probably. Oh well. Anwyay, my WINTER weeds are totally out of control (blue grass is over a foot tall in places). I really need to mow back the weeds, but I want to make sure the CGM has made it down into the soil first. How long after CGM application do I have to wait before mowing?

AustinGroundCrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:34 pm 

CMG now -- or 4 weeks ago -- does nothing for weeds now except feed them. That's why they are now a foot tall. CGM last Sept would have mitigated against this new forest you have.

Once the CGM is watered in, it's there working. So, you can mow now. And, it's best now while you can still see your mower and your feet! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:10 pm 

Ah, but if you had read my text more carefully, you would have seen that I put out the CGM this weekend for the WARM SEASON WEEDS THAT HAVE NOT YET GERMINATED (i.e. the stuff that pops up in the spring and summer). I know it will unfortunately feed the cool season weeds that are currently in my yard, but hopefully it will reduce the germination of the warm season weeds that have not yet appeared. And I did put out CGM last fall for cool season weeds. Unfortunately, too much rain reduced its effectiveness, hence the Poa forest I have now. Howard's books recommend CGM as a pre-emergent in the fall AND this time of year to hinder seed germination. Thanks for the advice regarding mowing timing.

AustinGroundCrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:37 pm 

Please research again. CGM now controls late summer-Fall weeds... not spring/early summer weeds. Those weeds started germinating well before now and the early ones are just starting to show.

CGM in Feb does nothing for spring weeds.

If you did CGM in mid-Sept, it is keeping the weeds from now till early summer down, inc. the poa. If your poa is out of control -- and it happens -- use more CGM next Sept and a "vinegar flood" in late Dec/early Jan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:55 pm 

I thought he was pretty clear. He applied it now to control the seeds that germinate in the very near future.

I don't like the product simply because it is too tricky to use, but in theory, it seems he's using it properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:27 pm 

Yes... he was clear... and he was mixing seed seasons too.

I was simply re-making the point that the "stuff that pops up in the spring and summer" has already germinated for the most part -- esp. in Austin area. You just don't see it yet because it is too cool for it to grow up still. Beyond that, it's a c*** shoot and whatever makes him happy makes him happy.

Ciao,
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:34 am 

Some direct quotes from Howard's Texas Gardening the Natural Way book:

1) p. 20: "Pre-emergent (before the seeds germinate)--Apply corn gluten meal at 20 lbs. per 1,000 sq. ft. March 1 and October 1."

2) p. 348: "Corn gluten meal is a natural weed-and-feed fertilizer. It should be broadcast in the spring before weed germination to prevent grassburs, crabgrass, and other annuals."

3) p. 356: "Corn Gluten Meal...It should be applied at 20 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft. sometime around October 1 and March 1."

Granted the weather we've had THIS season may have started the warm-season weed seed germination early (in which case my CGM application last weekend may not hinder it much), but CLEARLY there is a host of weed species that germinate in the spring, and in most years IN ADDITION TO THE FALL APPLICATION, a broadcast application of CGM is recommended ALSO BETWEEN MID-FEBRUARY AND MARCH 1 DEPENDING ON YOUR LOCATION IN TEXAS. The Fall application hinders seeds that germinate in the cool weather; the Spring application hinders seeds that germinate in the warm weather.

AustinGroundCrew

Post subject: CGM
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:55 am 

Thanks for all of the info. I put out CGM March 2nd. Immediately the weeds popped up everywhere. I thought something was wrong. My wife and neighbors laughed at me because I am so organically strong. NO CHEMICALS EVER!!!!! Now after reading, I see it will be done in sept or oct. for the early spring weeds. Thank you again. Now I will laugh next year, and this summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:47 pm 

Cool gjhood. Let us know how it turns out. So far I'm not seeing too many new warm season weeds, so I'm hoping my spring application has paid off. My cool season weeds are still hanging on though! I'm definitely ready for them to shrivel up. I've got too many of those to manually remove or spray vinegar. I hope next Fall's CGM application prevents as many cool season weeds from coming next year.

AustinGroundCrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:33 pm 

You didn't know? I've been waiting around these long years for you guys to come along! Just me and my weeds! Seriously though, I'm not sure why it reads that way. I've been a Ground Crew member since Feb 2004 (although I've been listening to Howard's show since 1997). But I didn't join the online forums until Dirt went exclusively online last Fall. I responded to an invitation from the Dirt staff to join the online group, and they set up my account for me.

AustinGroundCrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:38 pm 

Actually I think I know what's going on. When the Dirt crew invited me to log in when they discontinued the paper publication of Dirt, they informed me that I would be one of the "Founding Members" of the new and improved website. I went and looked at the Member list (see link at top of page), and there are several other members whose join date is listed the same as mine (which they actually list as Jan 1, 1970). So they are all probably in the same boat as me.

AustinGroundCrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:07 am 

You're quite welcome. You know what's really funny about it is that I somehow managed to join BEFORE I was even born! :lol:

AustinGroundCrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:03 pm 

I guess you would call that a 'birth' present. I was wondering the same thing. Guess people joined before the dirt doctor started the web site. It must have been in the very early planning stages. (LOL)