It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:18 am 

I have been mulching my leaves into the lawn as recommended. We have a lot of leaves, and I was wondering if you could have too many mulched leaves in the lawn. With the varity of trees around the house, we have a very long leaf falling season, and I do not want to over do it when mulching the leaves into the grass. I have been occasionally adding coffee grounds after mulching. My thought is that the green provided by the coffee grounds would help break up the brown of the leaves. So, now I have two questions - How much is too much when mulching leaves into the grass? And, should I stop applying coffee grounds to the lawn during the winter?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:17 pm 

Stop when you can barely still see the grass, don't overdo the coffee grounds and put out some dry molasses to help speed up the break down - unless you have wild pigs in the area. A guy called the show Sunday saying that the molasses attracted them! It's always something!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:09 am 

Thanks Howard. I've just been putting down one of the bags of coffee grounds you can get from Starbucks every two to three weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:26 pm 

A couple years ago I sprayed my 4-month old lemons with molasses and lost every one that night to squirrels.

I agree with the leaves. When you start to smother the grass, you have too many. I think liquid seaweed is a better decomposer for leaves than molasses but I've not done anything side by side. Leaves decompose with fungi and molasses is not a fungus food. Seaweed is. So is milk and garlic, by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:23 am 

Thanks Dchall.