It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: fall weeds
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:02 pm 

I'm just beginning to take my lawn organic. I have bermuda and as the weather gets cooler last year and again this year I'm having weeds through the winter. I have to mow at least twice a month during the winter. I have molasses and corn gluten to put on my lawn this week, is there anything else to help control the cold weather weeds?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:01 pm 

If there are weeds already germinating in your lawn at this time each year, I would suggest that you apply corn gluten meal earlier, like the beginning of September, if they are already all up and growing, the CGM will only be fertilizer for them. It does nothing but feed plants post-emergent.

Your main defense against unwanted plants (weeds) in an organic plan is deep infrequent watering, mowing often, corn gluten meal spring and fall, spot treating with vinegar and pulling them up. Once established in your organic program and the overall health of your soil has improved and your plants are healthier, the Bermuda should be able to choke out a good portion of common lawn weeds. It takes more than a few days to see a difference in an organic plan; normally you will see a big difference after one year.

Mow your Bermuda as low as it can handle without browning. I mow mine at 2" in the spring and fall, 2.5" in the hottest part of summer and get great results at these settings. Eventually as my lawn becomes more level I will mow it shorter, 1.5" spring and fall, 2" summer, which will make the Bermuda even thicker and softer to walk on. :mrgreen:

Also, I would suggest that you read the Organic Lawn Care FAQ that Mr. Hall has posted at the top of the forum if you have not already. It will answer many questions and may bring up some new ones too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:48 am 

Hi Leann,
Here is the plan for weed control. It also happens to be the plan for almost every other problem with lawns.

1. Water deeply and infrequently. Deeply means at least an hour in every zone, all at once. Infrequently means monthly during the cool months and no more than weekly during the hottest part of summer. If your grass looks dry before the month/week is up, water longer next time. Deep watering grows deep, drought resistant roots. Infrequent watering allows the top layer of soil to dry completely which kills off many shallow rooted weeds.

2. Mow at the highest setting on your mower. Most grasses are the most dense when mowed tall. Bermuda, centipede, and bent grasses are the most dense when mowed at the lowest setting on your mower. Dense grass shades out weeds and uses less water when tall. Dense grass feeds the deep roots you're developing in 1 above.

3. Fertilize regularly. I fertilize 4 times per year using organic fertilizer. Which fertilizer you use is much less important than numbers 1 and 2 above.

One more thing, could you return to your profile and put in there where you live. We assume everyone lives in Dallas unless you tell us different. If you live in Brownsville it makes a big difference in what we might suggest.