It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:42 pm 

How can I achieve a thick "carpet" of grass that feels cushiony to walk on. I want my grass to stand thick and above the sidewalk. A few spots in my yard are like this but I also have several areas where the grass is thin, not very plush, and actually below the surrounding sidewalk. Should I sprinkle St. Augustine seed in my yard? If so, when is the correct time of year? Or, should spread a thin layer of compost on the low areas? What do you recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:00 pm 

Hello,

About the St. Augustine. You can't put seed down - because with that type of grass you can only put down sod. It terms of thickening it, I had that question last year. Now, I'm by no means an expert. But, I was told to give that grass fewer longer waterings instead of several short waterings a week. I was told that could make it thicker and strengthen its roots. But, I don't know. Good luck! Let me know if you have any success and what you did!

~Stephanie

Post subject: St. Augustine
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:13 pm 

Try the posts below for additional info.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=370

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=82

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=94

Post subject: St. Augustine
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:54 am 

My St. Augustine yard really got healthy when I moved to strict organic methods and did three simple things; first I watered it deeply once a week so it would grow deeper roots, second I made my husband stop mowing it down to the ground and set the mower higher with a mulching mower and last I began adding cornmeal to the fertilizer application twice a year. It grew in more thick and lush and is still that way today.

Another thing this did was improve the health of the 50 year old ash tree in the yard. A great side benefit since it's huge and would be expensive to either take down or replace.

Bare spots react well to compost and a light mulch cover. Spare spots just need compost. Good luck with your yard!

Kathe :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:13 pm 

If you have much shade you'll never have deep, thick St Augustine. You can still have grass but not very dense. What Kathe said is good advice. Check out the FAQs written and stuck to the top of this forum.