It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Weed Killer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:12 pm 

What is the best organic program that i can mix up and spray on my St Aug. to kill weeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:41 pm 

I believe many people on the forum rely on the vinegar/orange oil solution. That solution is mostly reliable whether you have St. Augstine, Bermuda, Zoysia, whatever. Do be forewarned that this solution is non-selective and can kill whatever plantlife you spray it on. There are many discussions regarding the solution and its use available for viewing here on the forum. You will be able to read other's experiences in using this method.

Post subject: weed killer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:11 am 

Your best bet for a lawn with weed problems now would be to use corn gluten meal ths fall and mayby in the spring also. It is a great pre-emergant (and fertlizer also).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:38 am 

And in the mean time, be sure you are watering no more frequently than one time per week (it might be for 2 hours but one time only) and mowing at the highest setting you can get. If you have a ride on mower, you can probably to to 6 inches. Together the watering and mowing will take care of your weeds for you without spraying anything.

What weeds are you plagued with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:26 pm 

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
Together the watering and mowing will take care of your weeds for you without spraying anything.

Before expectations are raised too high, and newcomers read this and become discouraged...is that in this lifetime? After managing two sites organically, I have to disagree with your assessment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm 

MR. Clean. What do you think I should use. I am fresh into organic lawn care. I have been using "Scott's" on my back yard and using organic in my front. Kind of a test. I guess you could say. May the best system win. But I do want to learn organic. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:08 pm 

Derek Barton,

In my first read of your post, I made an error, I made an assumption. I assumed that you had a nice St. Augustine yard and needed spot weed control methods. For that purpose, either hand weeding or my original suggestion of a vinegar/orange oil spray is still appropriate.

If your weed situation is beyond that, then I would recommend a multi-prong attack. Beginning with a restoration of health to the soil. As you restore soil health, your desired grasses will flourish and will help to crowd out the less desired weeds. It will then be easier to control the weeds you have with either hand weeding or spot spraying as mentioned earlier. You may also find as I do that a small percentage of weeds in you lawn is acceptable.

To begin your soil restoration, begin by eliminating the use of Scotts and similar fertilizers and replace them with your choice of organic fertilizers or with corn meal or corn gluten meal. Some on the forum may recommend alfalfa meal, which I am sure is effective, but I don't have personal experience with the product and thus can't recommend it. Make your first application this now to get started. According to Blum's Farmers and Planters Almanc, the prime dates in September for applying organic fertilizers is the 10, 11, 19, and 20th. One great aspect of the organic program is that you can apply your fertizer any time.

Based on your budget, you can add other supplements such as dried (or liquid) molasses to boost the micro organisms in your soil, lava sand, greensand, etc. etc. etc.

Early in your change to organics, you will want have a good watering program of watering every 7-10 days applying @ 1" per session. This suggestion is only a generality, you will learn to watch your grass and tell when it needs water.

Mowing at your highest setting will also benefit your St. Augustine. As with a non-organic program try not to cut more than a third of the blade. Early in the season often requires mowing more frequently than once a week. Keep your mower blade sharp.

Keep reading and you will find many more tips. Make the commitment to organics, stay the course and you will be rewarded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:53 pm 

Mr. Clean wrote:
Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
Together the watering and mowing will take care of your weeds for you without spraying anything.

Before expectations are raised too high, and newcomers read this and become discouraged...is that in this lifetime? After managing two sites organically, I have to disagree with your assessment.

Disagree away! Despite my confidence expressed in my writing, I'm not the only person with some experience around Texas. I can't do it all so I have to listen to those of you who have had different experiences to learn what is different about yours versus mine.

So, what were the conditions of your situation? I have a bit of a mix in my yard. In the basic yard I'm in total shade. My weed problems may be more associated with the shade than the watering and mowing. But when I get a grassy weed in a weak part of my basic yard, it disappears as the St Aug fills in. The broadleafed weeds persist, so I use vinegar/orange oil on them - just sprayed the oxalis yesterday and it's dead today!! But I also have a part of my crushed rock driveway that my wife is allowing to fill in with whatever. That whatever is tending to be bermuda in the full sun and St Aug in the shadier parts. I'm letting nature take its course to see how this goes. I'm mowing the bermuda area short and the St Aug long.

Post subject: Weed Killer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:30 pm 

Well. I am looking for a good organic mix to spray all over my yard to kill eberyhing but St. Aug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:13 pm 

Derek,
I am making an assumption because you keep using the words "spray" that you are wanting very quick results...it that true?

I generally don't think of "spraying" and "organic" and "killing" together. Just doesn't make sense to me.

With that said, the vinegar/orange oil or 1 gallon of water with 2oz of orange oil (with a drop of soap) will "burn" most what ever it touches, including your St. Aug. The down side of it is....it will usually come back in a couple of weeks. Because the leaf/blade is burnt but doesn't do a whole lot to the roots.

Corn Meal or most of the organic ferts that are delayed/time released takes just a couple of weeks to get a good grass growth....you could boost it with high nitrogen (ammonium sulfate say 11-0-0 and immediate watering) and it might speed it up. Add a good watering plan and cut the grass higher and the weeds will go away.

Also I think it is getting close to a good time of year for applying beneficial nematodes.

Just my $0.02...