It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Watering of dry molasses
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:55 am 

Are there any special watering instructions that need to be followed when applying dry molasses as a fertilizer. Do we need to water in after it's applied, how long should we wait before watering it, does it need extra water, that kind of thing. Thanks for any help you can give.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:08 pm 

I try to use it on dry days - it is really sticky otherwise. I'd say spread it and then water normally, or put it out before a rain (not a predicted gully washer, or you'll lose it, like any other dry application).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:31 pm 

Dry molasses is not a fertilizer. It has no protein value and therefore no nitrogen. It is a pure carbohydrate and source of sugar for soil bacteria. If there is any 'fertilizer' value to it, that would have to come from stimulating bacteria that fix nitrogen from the air. That is not too far fetched but I've not seen anything about that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dry Molasses is a carbohydrate used as a soil amendment to feed and stimulate microorganisms. Contains many trace minerals. Approximate analysis is 1-0-5. Molasses provides food for microorganisms and is a source of carbon, sulfur, and potash. It is a good, quick source of energy for the soil life and microbes.

Here's some additional information: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Dry-Molasses_vq2156.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:55 am 

Doug is correct. I'm not saying molasses has no value, I'm just saying it is not a fertilizer. That is a misunderstanding.

Carbohydrates are definitely good food for bacteria, but real organic fertilizers all have a protein content higher than 5%. Corn and coffee grounds are down around 6-9% while corn gluten meal has 60% protein. That's the range for the grain based fertilizers.