It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:05 am 

Good Morning!

I read your Q&A section in the newspaper this morning. I was surprised to read that 'you are no longer a fan of CMG.'

I understand the reasons for using Zeolite, Molasses and Thrive. But why not use CMG too?

Thank you!
Char Harris,
Flower Mound, TX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:27 pm 

Perhaps a trend?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:33 pm 

Within Reason wrote:
Perhaps a trend?

Could you explain?

Thanks,
Char Harris
Flower Mound, TX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:19 pm 

CGM has become too expensive, and is unreliable. It has an equal chance of fertilizing the weeds as it does in preventing them from germinating.
Tony M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:08 am 

CGM has become too expensive, and is unreliable. It has an equal chance of fertilizing the weeds as it does in preventing them from germinating.
Tony M

I have been using CGM for 2 years. I spread it in the fall, and Spring. I only need one bag per usage so it is not a budget problem. Since it does work so good as a pre-emergent, I do not have existing weeds to fertilize.

So if that is Howard's reason..I will continue using it.
I am eagerly waiting for his reply! :D

Thanks for your input!

Char Harris
Flower Mound, TX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Char,

Tony's answer is consistent with what Howard says.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:54 pm 

Char,

Tony's answer is consistent with what Howard says.

I sort of feel like I do when we are told for years that something is good for us...and then 'someone' decides it is not.

I have really relied on this forum. I have only been Organic for 2 years and I was starting to feel 'comfortable' with my lawn treatments. I do use Thrive for Turf in the Sping and Fall and I spread Molasses once a month. I think I will still use CGM since my yard is so weed-free and many of my neighbors yards are not.

Thanks for the reply Doug!

Char Harris
Flower Mound, TX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Char,

We are not saying that CGM is a bad product. It is effective. We are just adding some new information:

1. CGM is getting expensive to apply - we would prefer that the cost would be more reasonable.

2. GCM has to be put out at seed germination - the weather pattern is tricky some years and the time to apply for the best results is missed.

3. We are getting a lot of reports that GCM is not as effective in year 3+ of using the product.

We are strong proponents the natural organic program, and healthy soil and turf will reduce pest, disease and weed issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:07 pm 

We are strong proponents the natural organic program, and healthy soil and turf will reduce pest, disease and weed issues.

Thank you for the explaning!

Char Harris
Flower Mound, TX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:10 pm 

Char-
Here is another spin on the CGM question. I have known and worked with Howard for the past 15 years. One of the things I respect about Howard is that he does not dig his heels in on a product to the point that he will defend it under any circumstances. There are other folks on the radio that are still defending chemicals that have long since been taken off the market.
I don't think Howard is changing his mind as much as he is giving us new information, specifically outlined in Doug's post. We are happy that you have converted to an organic program and are getting good results with it; we are equally as happy that CGM is working for you. However, as Howard draws his own conclusions from his research, as well as those from the "ground crew", he shares them with us. In a situation like yours, it may sound confusing.
Respectively,
Tony M
ps: let me know what else you have growing and I may be able to arrange a visit with Howard.
tony.manasseri@hughes.net

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:54 pm 

charris55 wrote:
Within Reason wrote:
Perhaps a trend?

Could you explain?

Thanks,
Char Harris
Flower Mound, TX

Charris:

My meaning behind that is that some of what goes through as Organic Methods is "trendy". A new method, becomes a best method, until further notice... but often without adequate reasearch completed. Something that often gets ignored when looking at ORGANIC PRODUCTS, is how, and whether the product is truly organic. There is a flowchart that often starts and ends at the same spot. In other words, how is a byproduct of a non-organic product, suddenly Organic? It think there is a lot of this going on, not enough research, from the start.

If the corn was grown using gmo corn seed, synthetic fertilizer, or non-organic pesticides... then the corn meal gluten that comes from it, can't technically be organic.
----
Beyond that, I say if it is working for you, go with it. CMG has tradionally been high priced, yet I have found better pricing for it, here in the last 12 months or so. Many people don't get CMG applied at the right time, or in the right dosage, and that is in part why so many don't have success with it. It's inherent achiles tendon, is the fact that it does not stay effective in the face of too much moisture.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:05 am 

We have been organic for over fifteen years. We have used CGM in spring and fall for almost that long. I went to the web site to find out when we should put it out this year and was shocked to find out that Howard was not recommending it any more. I'm looking for instruction on what to do instead. The Organic Guides on the web site still say to use CGM.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:48 pm 

Apparently there is some question as to how well CGM works as a preemergent after 3 years of using it. I have not heard of that in reading the forums around the Internet. The general feeling about CGM is that CGM makes an excellent fertilizer and may or may not have anything to do with preemergent weed control. Some people seem to like it for weed control and some don't. In 2011 I used it every month from March to October. Yes it was expensive (the Chinese started buying our corn crop last year), but my lawn has never looked as nice as it did last year.