It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

What Water Filtration System Do You Have (if any)?
Whole House 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Under Sink 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
Shower Head 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject: Water Filtration Systems
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:20 am 

If you have any sort of filtration system for water, what brand is it?

Any comments on it?

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:45 am 

I suppose mine would fall under the "under sink" category. We use the faucet mounted PUR filtration setup. Have been semi-seriously considering a whole house system, but I'm still working my way through higher priority projects.

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:46 am 

Mine is a four stage "Reverse Osmosis / Activated Carbon" system manufactured by The Water Factory that is under the kitchen sink and has a special stainless steel fountain-type spigot.

The shower has a whole house filter on it from Lowe's. It is a U 25 "Omni Filter"

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:55 am 

I am considering whole house as well. I met with a guy from Environmental Water Works at my mom's house in Dallas and the test results were very interesting. I wish I knew more about the testing part. I know the method of testing has a great deal to do with the results, but I do not know what method is best for testing for chlorine, solids, etc. I also do not know what all can be filtered out. Can you filter out flouride?

The Laws of Ecology:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:44 pm 

We have a Multi Pure under sink in-line system. It feeds our instant hot/cold water dispenser. It is the only one I know of that filters Arsenic.
Tony M
http://www.multipure.com/arsenicpressrelease.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:24 am 

Ours is in the refrigerator door. Right now that's all that's filtered.

As I said in the other thread, I used to have a whole house system and I turned it off. Sitting useless in the garage. Carbon type. LOVED IT!!! However, the water that came out of it also loved our copper plumbing. We noticed that we were leaching more copper than should be expected, so I got online and started looking. Apparently, water filtered this way will slowly degrade copper pipes. This can make the water a potential health hazard to those who drink it. Plus, it's not good for the plumbing either. So, to my shagrin, we turned it off. The excess copper sloughing stopped, but now our water smells like the city pool. Now looking into point-of-use for the shower.

According to what I've seen online, the whole-house is pretty good with PVC plumbing, but bad news with copper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:07 am 

We've got copper here too. Are there any whole house systems that are copper friendly?

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:41 am 

organic1 wrote:
I wish I knew more about the testing part. I know the method of testing has a great deal to do with the results, but I do not know what method is best for testing for chlorine, solids, etc.

This may sound strange but you might ask the folks at your local Waste Water Treatment Facility. They do testing on their release and use a book called "Standard Methods" of water and wastewater. (learned this in my Limnology class) They can likely answer your question. Or, contact one of the university's Natural Resource Department and ask one of the professors that teach Limnology. Additionally, I would also try and get the same from the Carrolton or Dallas City Water folks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:51 pm 

Dave, I have no idea. The basic idea is that, the purer the water the harder it is on copper pipes. Especially really soft water -- the mineral content of the water has something to do with it. My chemistry is weak (and classes long gone), so I really cannot explain why. I barely sorta begin to understand. If found my info by using Google (especially the groups where there were people talking from experience with the filters.). Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:57 pm 

dustoff79 wrote:
organic1 wrote:
I wish I knew more about the testing part. I know the method of testing has a great deal to do with the results, but I do not know what method is best for testing for chlorine, solids, etc.

This may sound strange but you might ask the folks at your local Waste Water Treatment Facility. They do testing on their release and use a book called "Standard Methods" of water and wastewater. (learned this in my Limnology class) They can likely answer your question. Or, contact one of the university's Natural Resource Department and ask one of the professors that teach Limnology. Additionally, I would also try and get the same from the Carrolton or Dallas City Water folks.

It does not sound strange, but rather logical. I suppose I did not think I would get a straight answer from them. Maybe I watched the "X Files" for way too long. :lol: You did make me look up a word, though. :) Thanks! Limnology sounds like an interesting subject.

The Laws of Ecology: